Effecting only parts of a track via automation

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
Can anyone give me a quick rundown of how this is done?? For example If i would only like the last line in a vocal to be effected by a huge reverb. How would I set up my send/receives and automation to achieve this? Would I send the vocal to the reverb channel and automate it so the dry track mutes at the same time as the effected channel raises volume? Hope this makes sense...

- you automate the send to the verb aux if possible
- depending on the plugin, it may have an on/off variable that you can automate
- if your DAW allows it (I only know Samplitude that does that), you can cut this part to make it a new object and you can apply the effect directly onto this very object
- I often also do it the simple way : create a new track you name "vocal with reverb" where you cut/paste the interesting vocal line, and you process this track differently that the "normal" vocal track

yeah man, creating a brand new track with only the parts you want effected that's the way I used to do it and to tell ya the truth, I think it's easier lol. But there's gotta be some sort of freedom or control over it using automation versus any of the other methods, right?

I usually get it the way I want it with the effect, then bus it over and print it to a separate track. Then just move it in and fade accordingly.

another cool trick is to send your vocal track to a bus and make and aux track with that bus as its input. then you put a reverb or delay on the aux track, then you put a compressor that has the clean vocal track (the bus you sent it to) sidechained to it. this will cause the reverb / delay to only sound at the end of vocal phrases. pretty cool!

I'm interested in this as well. I know there is no "right" way to do something like this, but would like to know how most are going about it.

-Joe

I usually automate the send on/off or volume.
Looks like this in reaper, in this case it`s a delay.
n49485h150.jpg

awesome, now what about plugins that dont allow wet/dry levels? Lets say blueGlitch for example...you need the song to be effected at a particular spot but you dont want the dry from the original sent track playing at the same time so would you have to automate the volume of the original track to mute at the same time your raising the volume of glitch?

I found the easiest way (for me, which often ends up being the most complicated way) is settin up an aux track with an aux-bus coming from the dry track. I'll set up two Verbs in this Aux, with the only difference being the Depth and maybe the length of the verb, then at the particular part of the vocal line, automate the bypass on each of the verbs as needed...

i've done the same with some mad delays too, works really well... gotta say i love automation for doing stuff like that...