Avatar, Marshal, Greenback, and other cab stuff.

tk7261

Oct 19, 2012
Im not really in the market for a new cab, but I'm always thinking about this stuff just for fun. Ages ago I was really into wanting to try an Avatar Contemporary Cab cause they are cheaper and I could get two v30s and 2 greenbacks, but I forgot all about it. But I heard a clip on youtube recently of a 1960ax, and was reminded how much I like greenbacks. I've never gotten to mess with a cab with greenbacks. I know everyone always swears by mesa v30s, but I think it could be cool to have the option of the different flavor with the greenbacks. How does an Avatar compare to a 1960ax?

Depends on what kind of greenbacks you go for. There are like 579375948794 greenback variants nowadays.

The Marshall 1960AX has standard Chinese Classic G12M's. If you go for those and the Marshall-based Avatar 4x12 (I think they call it "vintage"), you should have a very comparable cab.

I have a 1960A loaded with 2 Chinese V30's and 2 G12-EVH's (same speaker as the British Heritage G12M's), and it sounds killer.

Marshalls used to have MDF back panels, BTW, but as of 2013, they're all plywood.