V30/Greenback comparison

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
V30/Greenback (G12M) comparison video for you guys.

Again it's amazing how different 2 of the same speaker can sound! Purple is SUPER bright whereas Red is really dark to the point where you can stick the mic dead centre and it's still very useable!

Think I might pull the back off my cab to see if one is made in China and one is made in England as the difference is massive!

You can also hear how the greenbacks add their own crunch to the sound, I actually had to re-record this with less gain and volume as first time round it actually sounded quite overgained on the greenbacks!

Song is a demo of Cyber Wolf by Kill The Hydra, a Scottish thrash band that rehearse in my studio, seriously tight players! Gonna be doing a proper EP with them once they've got a vocalist sorted out! Check them out on Facebook Kill The Hydra

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing!:eek:

My band's mate has a slant Engl pro and I've got the straight one. The difference is huge, mine sounds much better, more fat, and they have the same speakers (V30). I will open both to see what is going on inside.

cool comparison, thanks..
the Greenbacks sound more different from each other than the V30's. I like the second Greenback better (red), has less fizz than the first one.
between the V30's I prefer the second one (yellow).

do you think the difference between the same speaker type comes more from the position in the cab or the differences in manufacture?

Got to be manufacturing I think, the two V30's sound pretty close despite one being in the slant top and one in the bottom (one of the old V30's I had in the cab before was very dark though). But the difference in those Greenbacks is huge!

Absolutely love both the red and the yellow. Yellow was tight, bitey and just sits perfectly in the mix. The red sounded like instant oldskool heavy stuff. Smooth but not muddy. Old Morbid Angel comes to mind. Very nice!

ah well, already commented on FB, but I missed which color was which, cause for some reason it wouldn't show the description when I opened it from FB...weird.

Red and Yellow are my favs, both sound great, depending if you want it brighter or smoother.
Violet is pretty ugly, green is ok.

Wasn't able to tell which is which before looking it up, but interesting I liked one v30 and one greeback!
Scary how different they sound tho

Thanks for the test man, been thinking about throwing in greebacks in my OS myself.

Btw, your guitartones where always nice, but lately they made a huge jump forward I think. Killer work overall man!

Green is the best
then red
then yellow
then purple.

I'll do it how I think they sound in time, the green has that 2000's sound, purple is 80's, red sounds like 90's megadeth/thrash/DM, yellow sounds like a pod mesa.

Noticed a Jet City JCA50H was used here - I'm interested in getting one. Sounds like they're more than suitable for metal tones, and I would be pairing it with a 4x12 loaded with V30s. Do you have any experiences with this amp that you could share?

Honestly I love mine, it's stupid how cheap they are too. My only quicbble is that it wont do clean clean tones, it's more of a crunchy clean. If you check out my youtube channel I've got another few comparison video's up and they've all been using the jet city.

I think the difference in the GB is the break in...
The purple sounds like it's newer...whereas the red is the classic GB..
Did you buy them new and placed them in the cab?
Or are they used?

You are right indeed sir, made me realise I hadn't specified the model in my original post! (it's a G12M)
Sorry, I apologize, I re-read my comment, and I think it came out a bit douchey. I meant that even within G12M's, there's still or have been a few different models. My guess is, if the GB's were purchased at different times or from different places, you could very well have two different kinds of speakers in there and that would account for the difference. :)

Nowadays they have both the Heritage and the Classic series G12M's.