What do you think of this guitar tone ? V30 and Greenbacks

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
Hello guys,

I reamped some guitars for a 5 songs project a few days ago. The band makes a Rammstein meets Meshuggah meets NOFX kind of music lol.

We used an Ibanez RG7620 with Lundgren M7 passive pickups.
I used my 5150 Mk1 on the lead channel with sometimes a Maxon OD-808 tubescreamer on some parts, and a Custom Audio Amplifiers cab loaded with two V30 and two Greenbacks, and miced one of each with a 57 on the "what I thought be right" spot ;)
Mic pres are Great River.

Here is the result :

Celestion V30 speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/V30.wav
Celestion Greenback speaker (one take per side, each panned 100%) :
http://sylvain.raulin.free.fr/Greenback.wav

I think this is quite cool for a totally raw sound. Anyway :
- the low mids sound a bit flabby but it seemed to be the guitar sounding like that (we tried to reamp a Gibson SG signal with the same amp settings and sounded MUCH more tight in this area, same with Jackson & EMG). We tried to lower the bass on the amp or increasing the "drive" on the Maxon to minimize this, but it ended up in sounding too thin, I think because the guitar doesn't really have a thick and meaty midrange like a Gibson for example. The bass has a pretty good amount of low mids in it so I will highpass the guitars pretty high (100-150 Hz maybe).
- as you hear, the sound has a lot of high end presence, which is not bad, it's just that you like it or not. For the style I think it is quite cool. Presence was cranked to 8,5 or something on the Peavey too, gives a bit of a Pantera feeling.

Greenbacks sound really airy, creamy and wide but does not cut through the mix sufficiently for that kind of music : that may be due to the fact that we began to find the amp sound with the 57 put in front of the V30. When I listen to the V30 only into the mix it sounds really cool, great stereo and midrange grit.
Do you think all that should end up cool with some slight EQ here and there ?