V30 + ... Greenbacks or G12T75 ?

Sly

Feb 8, 2006
Grenoble, FRANCE
www.myspace.com
I'm going to pick up a new 4x12" soon and I'm really interested in the Bogner Uberkab that has both V30 and G12T75 in a "X" pattern. From what I've heard it's very metal !
I'll use this cab for recordings most of the time, and browsing the forum I read that opinions of G12T75 are very different from one to another poster.
Do you think a custom cab with Celestion Greenbacks and V30 is a good idea ? I'm really interested in that too, and I'm starting to think that it will bring me more than G12T75 in terms of recorded tone. Just hope Greenbacks won't be too midrangey and altering the tone of the V30.
What do you guys think of that ?

I'm loving the greenbacks for everything "rock" and crunchy.
the V30 are my favs for metal, so actually that combination might work.
just two thoughts: I have no idea how much the speakers influence each others tone even when miced closely
and: keep in mind that the greenbacks and v30 have VERY different wattage ratings.....if half the power goes to the greenbacks (and you've only two of them) you should really be carefull to not blow them, 50 watts are easily achieved by "half an amp"

I'm going to pick up a new 4x12" soon and I'm really interested in the Bogner Uberkab that has both V30 and G12T75 in a "X" pattern. From what I've heard it's very metal !
I'll use this cab for recordings most of the time, and browsing the forum I read that opinions of G12T75 are very different from one to another poster.
Do you think a custom cab with Celestion Greenbacks and V30 is a good idea ? I'm really interested in that too, and I'm starting to think that it will bring me more than G12T75 in terms of recorded tone. Just hope Greenbacks won't be too midrangey and altering the tone of the V30.
What do you guys think of that ?

V30's are very midrangey as well, so you shouldn't worry about that. It would help more if you told us what amp you are using. The speaker choice should be more about whether they compliment the amp, especially when close micing. Personally I would have said that a G12t-75/ V30 combo would be a much more versatile option. Depending on whether you amp is very bass heavy or not then I'd even suggest a V30/ G12K-100 X pattern, but the bass might be a bit much :heh:

Sly,

I was never one for mixing speakers really. I once had a mix of Vintage 30s and G12T-75s in a 4x12 and I didn't like it very much to be honest. If you want both types of speakers I'd suggest separate cabs. The speakers do influence the sound of each other, so in my opinion a Vintage 30 won't sound the same mixed with a G12T-75 than it will in a cab with ONLY Vintage 30s.

-Joe

Thanks Joe, great help here, but now I don't know what to do ahah

Someone has a like new Uberkab that he wants to sell for a great price, I'm really interested. Anyway I'd like to check out if I can have a good price on an all Vintage 30 Bogner 4x12" cab, those looks amazing (will have to choose between slant or not too) !
Where can I hear a typical Greenback or G12T75 recorded tone ? I'm reeeeeeally curious about that !

There have been a few posts in the "Rate my Mix" section with a 5150 through 75's (I think by Machinated maybe?) that sounded really good - however, I think the best solution (and I forgot who suggested it, but props to them for it!) is getting a stereo cab and rewiring it so that the V30 part of the "X" is left and the 75/Greenback part of the "X" is the right - then, you can play all 4 of the speakers in mono, or isolate them going into either of the stereo inputs!

Thanks Joe, great help here, but now I don't know what to do ahah

Someone has a like new Uberkab that he wants to sell for a great price, I'm really interested. Anyway I'd like to check out if I can have a good price on an all Vintage 30 Bogner 4x12" cab, those looks amazing (will have to choose between slant or not too) !
Where can I hear a typical Greenback or G12T75 recorded tone ? I'm reeeeeeally curious about that !

Hmmm, not so sure!

The best way would be to hear it in person if you can. Take along the 5150 and compare. The best way I can describe them is: Plenty of low end, with high end "sizzle." The sizzle is usually an unmistakable 75 sound. They don't sound as "woody" or "stiff" as Vintage 30s. Not that either of those describes a bad speaker! I love Vintage 30s.

-Joe

I believe that most of the leads on Colony and Clayman by In Flames are through a Greenback-loaded Marshall cab. See the intro to "Swim" if you want to hear it by itself. Most of Daniel Bergstrand's productions sound like Marshall cabs with T75s to me (Meshuggah's Destroy Erase Improve and Chaosphere are confirmed as such by Fredrik Thordendal, and Scarve's Irradiant sure as hell sounds like it).