Avernus

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
So I was at this used CD store, and found a copy of "Of the Fallen" for 99 cents.

I have never actually heard AVERNUS before, so I figured this would be the perfect opportunity.

This was not at all what I expected. Upon further research of this disc, many say this is not representative of their current sound.

This definitely has more of a new wave / gothic feel , with some doom influences.

Knowing the history of Novembers Doom, I assume some of you here are familiar with AVERNUS and their discs.

Just curious to know your thoughts on the band, and this disc in particular.

Thanks.

With all the hype this band put out over the years & never went anywhere. With the revolving door & 30 members in the band at any given time. I always thought they were over the top, too much going on in the music. The ego's were just ridiculous. ND used to jam down the hall from these guys years ago. Erik Kikke was in ND for a while also. So I have heard enough Avernus to last a lifetime.:puke:

Our most recently departed bassist Brian was a member of Avernus at one time. But neither Vito, Joe, Paul, nor myself ever played with Avernus, though we've known those guys for many many years now.

I think Eric (Burnley) played with Avernus for a brief spell, didn't he?

The Avernus lineup with the most potential for success, was Rick McCoy (vocals), James Genenz (guitar), Brian Whited (bass), Jeff Joseph (keyboards) and Bill Hamning (drums.) This was a very solid group, with great musicians, like Brian, who was with us for a long time.

Jasonic said:
What are your thoughts on it?
I dig it from the first listen, just not what I was expecting.

I thought they were ok for what it was, but it wasn't my thing. Not what I expected at all. It was kinda melodic, and moody, but i really wasn't too big on the vocals, and the up tempos. kinda too "gothy" for me.