ND Chicago Powerfest 2007 Review

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
So I was going through some old Word Documents and found the review I wrote 3 years ago following ND's Powerfest performance.

I may have posted this here a while back, but thought it might be of interest for folks who missed it the first time.

Enjoy!

It was with great anticipation that I awaited the announcement of this year’s line-up for Chicago Powerfest 2007. Needless to say, I was very pleased when Chicago’s own Novembers Doom were added. If that weren’t enough, their touring partners from last fall Saturnus and Thurisaz were added as well. This appearance by Novembers Doom was to be their first since the release of their latest, “The Novella Reservoir.”

The band was scheduled to perform in the second slot on Saturday night of the festival. I was very curious to see how this would come off as I have previously only seen Novembers Doom headline. I had a feeling I would be in for a fast and furious set since the time slot would be limited as they usually are in festival settings.

The lights dim as the tape rolls the intro to the self-titled track off of 2005’s “The Pale Haunt Departure.” This seems to be the standard set opener for the band since that album was released. As always, this works very well for kicking off the set.

After “The Pale Haunt Departure,” vocalist Paul Kuhr addresses the crowd with, “We are Novembers Doom, and tonight we bring you the RAIN!” “Rain” is the fierce opening track on “The Novella Reservoir.” I had previously heard the track live only once, though prior to the release of the album.

The title track, “The Novella Reservoir” soon followed. This song serves as a nice pace setter for the evening after the one-two punch of the first two songs.

What followed next was “Autumn Reflection,” which Paul has described many times in interviews and his book (The Wayfaring Chronicles) of lyrics as a message to his young daughter about her arrival into this world. What made this performance more special was that she was in the club this evening! If I recall, she even threw the horns at her father a couple times. This track is always performed flawlessly and showcases the beautiful double-guitar interludes of guitarists Larry Roberts and Vito Marchese.

The band next kicks it up a notch with the pummeling track, “The Voice of Failure.” One of this track’s highlights is the brutal double-bass drum attack of Joe Nunez. The song is just as heavy live as on disc. This seemed to be a favorite for many in the house.

Following “The Voice of Failure,” Paul asks the crowd what song off of the Knowing they would like to hear. I almost lost my voice screaming for “Silent Tomorrow.” My efforts paid off, as they kicked into one of my all-time favorite Novembers Doom track. This was even more special as I have never personally heard this song performed live. The song was just as haunting live as it was recorded. Hopefully this will open the doors for the band reaching deeper into their catalog again for future performances. Word has it that “The Knowing” may be re-issued in the near future.

Next, the band went into “Dark World Burden” off of “The Pale Haunt Departure” which is always a fan favorite. Drummer Joe Nunez got the crowd to clap along during the opening riff of the song which led to the crowd pumping their fists high in the air once it kicks in.

Finally, the set closes with my personal favorite track off of “The Novella Reservoir” in “Drown the Inland Mere.” This track proves how versatile Novembers Doom really are. Few bands can pull off brutality, harmony, and beauty at once!

Chicago Powerfest turned into another great performance for the band. The songs selected for the set were perfect for their allotted time slot. I must also mention the solid performance of newcomer bassist Chris Djuricic. Long time fans know though that Chris is no stranger to the band as he has produced and engineered numerous Novembers Doom releases. The band has a couple big performances planned this year such as the Alehorn of Power Festival and a support slot on the Chicago stop of Mayhem’s 2007 North American tour.

CHICAGO POWERFEST SET LIST:
The Pale Haunt Departure
Rain
The Novella Reservoir
Autumn Reflection
The Voice of Failure
Silent Tomorrow
Dark World Burden
Drown the Inland Mere