Avid HEAT vs. Neve - Official Blind Shootout/Test

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
I'm loving all the great blind shootouts lately. I scored 26% on the test, it was very difficult IMO:

http://www.avid.com/US/resources/HEAT-Listening-Challenge

It would be cool to hear a similar shootout with hard rock/metal involving the same processors. I find that with more open/dynamic music I have a harder time hearing differences in summing or master buss processing. On the SSL vs. Waves SSL test they hosted a couple of years ago, I scored very high on the Dark New Day track, but much lower on the other styles.

It was hard, but I could hear a clear difference in all of them except on the third installment. One was always a bit darker, but since I have never used the Neve or HEAT, I have no idea what is their sound characteristics, so I went with a hunch that Neve is the darker and Heat is the brighter and but since I got only 20% correct, I guess it's the opposite:

You scored 20 % Correct

Most correctly identified : Pro Tools only mix (3 out of 5)

After second try I got:

You scored 66 % Correct

Most correctly identified : Neve summed Pro Tools mix (5 out of 5)

I have no idea which one was which, but I preferred the 5B the most.

Wow, didn't expect this one, my first time :

You scored 73 % Correct
Most correctly identified : Pro Tools only mix (4 out of 5),Pro Tools mix with HEAT (4 out of 5).

I think the Pro Tools only mixes sounded a little brighter then the rest. I still think that the HEAT and Neve sounded pretty close, i thought that the Neve sounded a tad more warmer though. I only used a Neve in college like 2 or 3 times, 3 years ago.

Honestly I couldn't tell a difference. On two of the sets I didn't even guess and said "I can't tell" so I got a 6%

I wish the SSL one was still up