Awakenings (and other lyrics)

Aug 21, 2006
What is this (beautiful) song about guys? The lyrics really intrigue me deep...

A haunting vision torments me
It smothers and steals my dreams

And

'Would've been's and 'could've been's
they waste my days away
the colors of my life dissolve and fade to gray

Seems like a man reflecting on his life and drawing bitter conclusions ("I see an old man in the mirror cold and bitter starring back at me"...). Kind of philosophical, or is there something more specific around it?

Another one that teases me is Candlelight Fantasia...

But generally, what do you think about Symphony X's words? Sometimes they are just mythical or fantasy based, but some other times I get a dizzy sensation of "I dunno what" (Inferno as an instance)... Is it just me???

Candlelight Fantasia and Awakenings (as well as a few other songs) seem to have a more modern and psychological meaning than do the band's other, mythology-based songs.

MorphineChild205 said:
Candlelight Fantasia and Awakenings (as well as a few other songs) seem to have a more modern and psychological meaning than do the band's other, mythology-based songs.
That is my feeling also.
A pychological and introspective flavour opposed to the mythical and fantasy-based stuff; fantasy flavours also, like In The Dragon's Den, Accolade I & II and Incantations Of The Apprentice among others... I guess MJR and the other guys used to be D&D and rolegame players themselves, lol. :)

That probably has it too, but there's a "standard" special edition available elsewhere which has only Masquerade '98 on it which the regular edition doesn't as well as more liner notes.

haha, behold the sample from my copy of Odyssey's special edition liner notes !!!

"Awakenings :
Mike Pinnella : [...] In this song we have someone who is uncertain about what the future holds, almost desperate to know. The driving rhythm of the verse portrays someone searching for answers, the big sounding chorus is someone crying out - the middle interlude is the struggle everyone faces."