Awesome old school American thrash

Their guitarist posts over on the Symphony X forums, and aye they're good.

Saw Mantic Ritual open for Rotting Christ a couple of months back, they did kick a lot of ass. I haven't listened to their CD much since buying it though. Old-school thrash should probably be left to old school bands. New people should write new stuff.

I don't get the hype in this band at all honestly. the riffs are really generic and typical as is the drumming, everything about it just seems really stale like its been done to death before, at least Municipal Waste is a lot catchier and has wayyyy more attitude and makes you fucking rage, this just feels like metallica with all the energy sucked out. I don't like any of the new bands like Merciless Death, Fueled By Fire or these guys, the only ones I see real value or skill in is stuff like Bonded By Blood or Warbringer because they have real attitude and actual fairly original riffs whereas those bands don't really. edit: also come on those titles on the songs they have are so lame, panic, murdered to death, next attack and the album is called executioner? seriously at least some time should be devoted to coming up with titles and lyrics that have at least some meaning or in the case of municipal waste they take time to come up with clever and funny shit.

I think you're missing the point. They're TRYING to bring back old-school...those types of riffs and songs are exactly what they want and grew up listening to. I'm the same way when it comes to thrash metal.

Thrash metal isn't supposed to be clever. Those song titles are pretty tongue-in-cheek.

As far as the drumming goes, every single thrash metal drummer is generic; there are three time signatures of drumming for thrash metal, and that's polka, 2/4, and 4/4. Occasionally you'll get someone who can use his feet decently, but double bass really isn't used in thrash metal like it is in death metal or black metal. No one is blasting or hitting their double kicks at 500 bpm. Saying that their drumming is pretty generic is like saying the only thing wrong with old school black metal is lack of production. It's not supposed to be amazing.

I guess being a kid in the 80's while this style was growing plays a much bigger part than if you were born after it had already died. It's a part of your own history and it's really nice to see them bringing it back in such a convincing way. Seriously, this album is like a time capsule back to 1985.

The people who say their style of thrash is boring and that there are a lot of better thrash players out there are spoiled because they already had a plethora of bands to choose from because by the time they were old enough to listen to music, all this music was basically already old-school. Growing up, this music was the fastest music on the planet and it was extreme to us, and we had only a handful of bands to choose from. I remember thinking Dave Lombardo was the greatest drummer in the world when I was a kid, and thinking Nuclear Assault was the fastest band in the world. Now, with the advances in drumming just over the last decade, you have drummers and players these days doing things that were unthinkable when thrash reigned supreme in the 80's. In the 80's, blast beats and double bass like Nile didn't exist except for a few really underground bands like Napalm Death, and even then grindcore wasn't nearly as fast as it is today.

Oh yeah, I finished listening to the entire album. It's fucking tits.

It's like Reign in Blood meets Kill 'Em All meets Four of a Kind meets Fistful of Metal. Simple, straightforward, aggressive, and definitely gets your head banging.

If these guys weren't a new band, I'd swear it was some thrash band from the 80's doing a reunion after 20 years in a coma.

Dead Winter, I'm thinking that due to the that fact that you currently live outside the US your not really aware of this major influx in 10,000 "old school" thrash metal bands forming in the last 3-5 years. The market is totally flooded with bands that sound exactly like Mantic Ritual. Hell, I can think of almost a dozen bands from Baltimore alone that fit this criteria. Mantic Ritual sounds very bland and uninspired to me. It also has nothing to do with their style. Regardless of whether or not they are trying to "bring back to old school" (which it should be noted, is impossible) they still fail to deliver something that sets them apart from the scores of other bands -many referenced in this thread already.

Also, saying that all thrash metal drumming is generic is totally bonkers. Maybe if you only listen to "big" Thrash acts ala Testament, Megadeth, etc. but I can find examples of awesome drumming in scores of lesser known thrash acts around the globe.

That really sucks if the market is flooded. I see the pansy-ass wannabe thrashers on the bigger labels and stuff, and I've caught a few bands like Evile and Municipal Waste, but other than those three including Mantic Ritual, I haven't really been sucked back into my adolescent years of thrash headbanging like I have with Mantic Ritual.

Please, show me some bands that are truly reminiscent of the 80's thrash period as you've mentioned. Also, I've yet to see amazing drumming that's not the standard thrash drumming from ANY thrash metal band so far that was A PURE THRASH METAL band. When you start mixing thrash/death or thrash/black, of course it's going to get crossed over. But I'm talking PURE HEADBANGING THRASH. I'm not saying thrash drumming is easy or shitty, I'm just saying that there's never been a lot of experimentation with thrash metal.

So, if you know of any bands that are worthy of this monikor and don't cross genres, post 'em!!! Remember, NO THRASH/BLACK OR THRASH/DEATH OR THRASH/PAGAN OR THRASH/PAGAN/BLACK/DEATH/PROG/POWER/GOTH/INDUSTRIAL/ETC. Just straight up thrash with awesome vocals, killer hooks, and kickass riffs.

MAX!!! Didn't you say you liked your thrash with a bit of black metal? Check out my friends' band: http://www.myspace.com/sidustenebrarum

municipal waste is the only new band I like in that style, because they have succeeded in making their sound current while remaining oldschool.

all these other kids playing retro thrash just try really hard to make their records sound like they were recorded in 1986. Municipal Waste doesn't.

That's it. Absolutely.

I LOVE Thrash. Especially what came from the American west and east coast in the 80s/early 90s.

But those bands, namely Evile, Warbringer, Fueled By Fire, Gamma Bomb, Bonded By Blood, Mantric Ritua, Rumpelstiltskin Grinderl etc. just bore me to death (some more, some less). Some plainly suck!

The Waste is the exception, for the exact reasons Azal mentioned. Quality songs with modern sound but oldschool attitude.

a dash of black?

RAISE HELL

Deja-vu, Deja-vu...

These guys used to be in the same position Mantric Ritual is right now. A very young and coming (Semi-)Thrash band who got signed, hyped, exploited and dropped like a hot potato from Nuclear Blast.

My fuckin oracle tells me, the same will happen with these guys. They have it coming..

to Dead Winter: There is such thing as innovative drumming in thrash, and innovative thrash altogether. I'm sure someone around here's heard of a little group called Atheist? Unquestionable Presence or Piece of Time, that band is awesome rockin tits.