Awesome...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Not sure what genre people typically lump Kiuas into, but to me, Kiuas is the most original Power Metal band to come along in years. They've breathed life into a dying genre, by blending elements of Melodic Death, Folk, Black, etc., all with old school integrity and superb musicianship. "Reformation" has been my intro to this band, but I will certainly be making my way through their back catalog. As of now, this is my favorite CD released in 2006. I'm curious to hear how long time fans of the band feel the new CD stacks up against some of their older material.

I hope some day they make it over to US shores.:kickass:

Zod

Amazing stuff, every metal fan needs to listen to Kiuas, only slight issue is that I do feel The Spirit of Ukko was considerably more catchy than Reformation is. Struggling to get into the latter but the former seemed a little more accessible, anyone else feel the same?

I felt that Ukko was more immediately catchy, but Reformation's catchiness grows and grows and I usually get Through the Ice Age stuck in my head when I least expect it. What's more is I think that's probably like the 5th or 6th catchiest song on the album. At least I can still sing along to all of them!

Strange... I find Reformation MUCH more catchier. When I listen to Spirit of Ukko I find myself struggling to remember each song but with Reformation I'm whistling the tunes all day after listening to the album just once.

General Zod said:
Not sure what genre people typically lump Kiuas into, but to me, Kiuas is the most original Power Metal band to come along in years. They've breathed life into a dying genre, by blending elements of Melodic Death, Folk, Black, etc., all with old school integrity and superb musicianship. "Reformation" has been my intro to this band, but I will certainly be making my way through their back catalog. As of now, this is my favorite CD released in 2006. I'm curious to hear how long time fans of the band feel the new CD stacks up against some of their older material.

I hope some day they make it over to US shores.:kickass:

Zod

Thanks a lot, General! :headbang:

And the rest of you as well (once again). The catchiness issue is an interesting one, and especially since the opinions about the two records differ so much. I'm actually pleased about that, it would be boring for us as well if either of the records would be objectively better, more accessible or whatever...

Yea, the albums are both dependent on preference, neither is ultimately better. I myself prefer Reformation by abit, but I know plenty who don't.

I really couldn't decide on catchiness. The statement about them breathing life is totally true. ^__^

Mikko Ilmarinen said:
BANDOKE, actually, which means you can play along all instruments except drums. It should be pretty cool, tomorrow is the release party at Virgin Oil, Helsinki! :headbang:
Be there! :kickass:

Ahhh shit! I missed it. I would have loved to see it. Never heard of bandoke!

Oh gods, yeah! Kiuas is the most original band to come out in power metal in recent years. They've really put a new edge on the genre and have added some of their own influences that truly make their sound their own. I pray someday they'll make it to the States for a show or two. Rock on!