Axe-FX II Firmware 9 test(s)

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hey dudes,

I thought I'd share a couple of mixtests I've done with the latest Axe II firmware. I stayed on FW6 for the longest time because I wasn't sold on the later updates but version 9 is absolutely killer. I've even ditched my usual custom impulses and I'm using stock cabs for the first time in ages. Here's the 5150 model (as always) doing some slow heavy riffage, and a clip of my band Periphery's tune Racecar. The rest of the mix is made up of Toontrack Avatar and Metal Machine packs, some Slate CLA samples, and Trilian bass since my basses aren't at home right now.

[SoundCloud]https://soundcloud.com/nolly/axe-fx-ii-fw9-01-test-2/[/SoundCloud]

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds fantastic!
i need to update to 9.01 ASAP, unfortunately i sold all my electrics so i can't really test it -.-

Tone sounds a little too grainy in the mix on Racecar IMO, but holy shit, sounds great on that first clip!

Honestly kind of want to try an Axe-FX II again, but I really just can't justify spending the price on it, when I love my Kemper so much already :p

Maybe I'll borrow my buddy in A Distant Calm's Axe II that I sold him at the beginning of the year, pretty sure they're only using it for recording, anyway (Ultras for live use).

Nice clips
Firmware 9 was a big step forward, I know Cliff divides opinion but the fractal team have put so much effort into continually improving the product that the cost of the unit no longer seems expensive to me.