Axe Fx Ultra

Yep. From everything I've heard from the Kemper, I think it's a great tool and really fits how lots of players and producers want to work. I can really see how it would be essential for Andy!

For someone like me, I ditched most of my amps in favor for the Axe, so I don't profile anything. I build my rig right in the Axe and I've finally become really happy with my workflow with it. I literally can attain any sound I can think of and the Axe has far more capability than I will ever use it for. But it's really nice to know that it's all there if I ever want it for whatever reason.

I will also agree a big tip to really getting "your own" tone with the Axe is through IR's that probably won't come with the Axe. I never touch the included impulses. They are just not to my liking what so ever.

I don't have a negative thing to say about the Kemper. I think it's a great tool and I really think the tech in that box has come a long way. I really have enjoyed some of the tones I've heard from it too. Both boxes are awesome. Just choose the right one for what you want to do with it.

My only gripe so far with the Kemper would be that I'd be heavily reliant on the tone library online compared to actually being able to sculpt my own sounds with an Axe. In fairness, if I spent £7-800 on a used Ultra to see what I thought about it, I reckon I could get that money back and wouldn't be too far out of pocket if I punted it on after a couple of months. £1900 is a lot of money to me to buy a new Axe II and the £1200 is just pushing the boundaries of what I'd be comfortable spending on getting a Kemper. I'm finding all the info on this thread very intriguing. It's not swayed me one way or another yet. If I could afford an Axe II, that would definitely be the way I'd go. My old housemate has one and he loves it, he lives about 5 hours away, so I can't even go try it out.

Check out clips if both, man. The proof is in the pudding. After researching both amps I personally was more impressed with the sounds coming from the Kemper. That's all that really matters at the end of the day.

As someone here talked about my sounds ;)

Axe 1 (Standard)

Axe 2 (firmware 11.05)

Kemper profiles of my V12 presets

I like The Axe II more, for amp tones and effects/versatility, but could play with the KPA or the Standard too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting to borrow my mates Axe II in two weeks time. I'll watch those videos later this morning though :)

Those clips are pushing me towards the Kemper more, but I'll have a better idea when I play with the Axe. Thanks for that Fremen

If you want to use pretty much any quality effects at all the axe is a no brainer, and if you want several lead patches and a couple of rhythms, the same story.

The kemper does the raw rhythm 'one' tone for life thing better.