Axe-FX?

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
I know I've been bugging this forum to death about what what fx unit I should get, and when I finally thought it was going to be the Boss GT pro, I found this fractal audio Axe-FX unit. Expensive as hell, but I've read some very good reviews on it. Anyone here have any info on it?

I didn't know I had to inform you that I have already googled it. You see, I use the forum to see if anyone in the forum has one.
And I used the search function. "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
...and I even looked around manually and found 1 or 2 that had them mentioned, but only as an amp sim, not just fx use or anything really about them.

so blow me.

I had an Ultra as well. Only sold it because I wanted to put the money towards a custom guitar and it was overkill for me.. I'll be buying a Standard sometime soon. It is an extremely awesome piece of gear, probably the best modeler and best effects unit you can get.

If it is worth the money just for the effects or if the high cost is for the amp sims. reliability of live use, what FC used with it, any comparisons to other units..... anything an owner would have to say about it that I wouldn't find out websearching and reading the website.

I didn't know I had to inform you that I have already googled it. You see, I use the forum to see if anyone in the forum has one.
And I used the search function. "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."
...and I even looked around manually and found 1 or 2 that had them mentioned, but only as an amp sim, not just fx use or anything really about them.

so blow me.

:lol: pwned

I've mentioned this before, but really, it's all about considering what your uses for it are gonna be, cuz for me all it is is a really expensive digital guitar preamp that might sound as good as a comparable tube model but certainly not better. Features such as its huge amount of high-quality FX, the routing possibilities for said FX, the impulse loading for cab simulation that can go straight to a PA (or for recording), etc. are cool, but really don't mean dick to me - I play with three channels; clean, crunch, and face-melting, the only FX I use are delay on solos and 'verb on clean, and if I really wanted to go direct to the PA I'd just get a Palmer box for my amp.

So this of course is MY scenario, but if you're in at all of a similar circumstance I'd advise against it.

Also, FWIW I look forward to snagging a Standard myself sometime this year...

+1 to what Marcus said though, it's a pretty high-priced unit just for FX...IMO. I'm getting one to use in the studio.

~006

I've mentioned this before, but really, it's all about considering what your uses for it are gonna be, cuz for me all it is is a really expensive digital guitar preamp that might sound as good as a comparable tube model but certainly not better. Features such as its huge amount of high-quality FX, the routing possibilities for said FX, the impulse loading for cab simulation that can go straight to a PA (or for recording), etc. are cool, but really don't mean dick to me - I play with three channels; clean, crunch, and face-melting, the only FX I use are delay on solos and 'verb on clean, and if I really wanted to go direct to the PA I'd just get a Palmer box for my amp.

So this of course is MY scenario, but if you're in at all of a similar circumstance I'd advise against it.

Palmer instead of your own nicely done IR's? Tweaked to perfection? Oh, the Recto sounds awesome. ;)

I bought it for the amp/cab sims. Those fx was a bonus, but the quality just blew me away. They are as good as Eventide, TC electronics and other high end manufacturers. I wouldn't have bought it for the fx only, though. In a live situation, no one can hear that quality anyway.

Too bad they're not common here yet, I actually know of only two Finnish people who have an Axe FX. If I could find a Standard used, I'd replace my X3 Live with it in a heartbeat. I play almost all of my gigs with my Pod, either plugged straight into the PA, or into the poweramp of an amp. I never haul my own gear because I don't have a car or even a license (though I'm getting a license this year). I'm just not 100% happy with the tones I'm getting, mainly a lot of the effects are kinda lame.