Axis Longboards

Hair_of_the_Dog

New Metal Member
Apr 1, 2006
Hey Jay,

Which of these do you have? It looked like the X-L2, but I'm only basing that on what the beater looked like. These are the double pedal versions.

Axis X-L2 Longboard Double Pedal
Axis AL-2 Longboard Double Pedal

Also, I assume that you have the EKIT for triggering, yes?

Hey Jeremy,

I use the AL-2's which I've converted into two single pedals. The main difference between the AL-2 and the X-L2 is that the AL-2 has the VDL (Variable drive lever) which allows you to change the position in which the pedal pulls down on the cam thus changing how the pedal feels. The problem with the VDL though is that when positioned fully up it hits the drum head, so I have it as far up as it can go without touching it, the X-L2 is fixed in the fully up position and doesn't have this problem which is nice. I'm an odd ball player because even though I trigger my kicks I still hit them fairly hard because I rely on the beater's rebound off the drum head to do doubles like Virgil Donati. Most death metal drummers have the VDL positioned all the way down with the spring tension as high as they can go which I find impossible to play. Personally I feel I could have gone with the X-L2's with my playing style because I'm always trying to ge the VDL to go as high as I can get it in the first place. You're welcome to come over during one of our practices and play with them though.

For add ons I use the EKITs and toe raisers. I've actually modified my pedals to allow easier adjustment of the EKITs which involves using a Dremel tool and grinding away a certain parts of the pedal so this mod isn't for the faint of heart. I'll have to show you what I did. Also after recording Grimour I completely rebuilt my pedals with thread lock glue on all critical points because the recording process actually caused the pedals to start to loosen up and come apart.