Axl turns down Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

kuier

Glam Overlorde of Spandex
Jan 24, 2006
Africa's Crotch
www.snakenet.com
Axl Rose has penned a letter declining an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2012/04/12/axl-rose-turns-down-the-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

A bit divided on this one.

On the one hand, kudos for standing up for yourself. Maybe you are growing up. HoF is a joke anyway. Stick it to the man!

On the other hand, would it have hurt just to bury the hatchet for one show, suck it up and please your fans that put you there, then go your separate ways again? Cut your nose and all that.

I've got no beef with Axl on this one. RNR HoF is just a pointless establishment.

I have to give it to Axl this time on two facts:

1) HOF is a huge piece of crap.
2) GNR is not deserving of HOF anyway even if HOF wasn't a huge piece of crap.

I think the best was to decline indeed.

i don't understand his stupid letter. why exactly is he declining?

Axl is just filled with Anger management problems. He's a spoiled rich boy that wants it his way or the highway. He doesn't like people that could potentially steal the show like Slash. So, Axl was the beginning of GNR, and he is the end of GNR.

2) GNR is not deserving of HOF anyway even if HOF wasn't a huge piece of crap.

Having the #1 selling debut album of all-time and being the most influential band from 1988-1991 counts for nothing? There are countless bands in the HOF that had one hit! GNR are a world famous band, and their first 3-4 albums are classics. Slash's guitar work on Appetite was simply brilliant. Even if you don't like that album, some of the riffs and phrasings he came up with are very unique.

That being said, Axl's letter is full of legalese and offers no concrete reasons for wanting to skip the induction, other than whining about past members being in attendance who must have done an unpardonably grave injustice to Axl.

You know, while I had a fun time when I visited the HOF, I won't deny there's a lot about it that downright irks me. The refusal to admit insanely famous and influential bands in favor of indie bullshit that rock writers like, for starters. If Axl had just said "Hall of fame? Fuck that! I'll consider it when you induct Rush!" I might have supported him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guns_N'_Roses#Musical_style - These people for starters. Myself, for another. Slash as a guitarist has been monstrously influential, and most rock guitarists have learned riffs from Appetite (Sweet Child of Mine in particular). Slash was also influential in sparking a renewed interest in "classic rock' guitars like the Stratocaster and Gibson Les Paul into style again. At that point, most metal/hard rock guitarists were playing Flying Vs and newer models of guitars.

There are over a dozen friends in local bands I know who used Appetite to learn to play guitar, bass, drums, whatever. One friend of mine said "In 1988 when Appetite came out, I bought my first drum set and practiced 4 hours a day to that album for months on end until I knew it top to bottom, and in the process, learned how to play drums."

Also, Poison started before GNR.

Also, dude, this is the Hall of FAME. GNR are really, really famous. I don't think there exists an Active Rock station in the US or Canada that doesn't play them. Surely they have as much right to be in the HOF as Tina Turner.

I'd like to admire Axl for declining the induction but he's NOT declining because he thinks (as we all do) that The R&R HoF is a sham but because he just doesn't want to share the stage with his former bandmates.

IMO Axl is not the kind of person to have any regard for his fans and doesn't seem to have any such quality in his personality.

some people who "make it" are genuine and compassionate and grateful to their fans-and some are not

Axl doesn't have it in him

a shame-Appetite is a moment in time now- CRANK IT and enjoy!!!!

IMO Axl is not the kind of person to have any regard for his fans and doesn't seem to have any such quality in his personality.

some people who "make it" are genuine and compassionate and grateful to their fans-and some are not

Axl doesn't have it in him

a shame-Appetite is a moment in time now- CRANK IT and enjoy!!!!

sorry the trauma axl endured being sexually assualted as a kid makes him unapproachable and sometimes odd to people who buy an album he made.