backing tracks

I was mixing Eilera live in on their 2007-2008 finnish tour (and propably will next year too when their new album comes out), they had drums, bass, guitar, violin, cello, 6 backing tracks (loops/percussive, strings&synths and choirs&vocals) and vocals. it sounded huge and it was really fun to mix.

not too hijack or anything, but since we are on the topic of backing tracks, how do you setup a rig so that you can have backing tracks with a click for the drummer and have a feed to the FOH without a click?

not too hijack or anything, but since we are on the topic of backing tracks, how do you setup a rig so that you can have backing tracks with a click for the drummer and have a feed to the FOH without a click?

Multioutput soundcard, 1/2 for backing and 3/4 for click, we did it like that ( back then)

Pan the tracks to the left, and the click to the right, or have it set up so the drummer uses the headphone output of the interface and the click only goes to the headphones, or as someone already said if you have multiple outputs that makes it pretty easy.

Multioutput soundcard, 1/2 for backing and 3/4 for click, we did it like that ( back then)

ok so to anyone that can answer, what would be the cheapest multiple (4+ output) out that could be used with a laptop (USB) that would just work. So far the cheapest thing I could find is the Focusrite Saffire LE.

Would be cool to use orchestra backing tracks, better than a keyboardist who would not be able to play every not in the orchestra and would have one less member to worry about.

Anyone know if Between the Buried and Me were playing to a click for the Colors Live! DVD?
They had some programmed samples going on and the tempos seemed quite dead on with the studio album, but I've never actually read anything that confirms whether them playing to a click (well Blake Richardson, the drummer) or not.

That's a really interesting subject. Personally I'm almost unable to compose a decent song without the use of synths/strings but they're usually there just to add some ambiance and atmosphere, so they aren't important enough to justify the trouble of having a keyboard player but at the same time the songs just can't be performed right without them. So a backing track is the only solution but I was always afraid a lot of people would think of it as cheating.

Btw, can't anyone list some mainstream bands the use backing tracks?

Anyone know if Between the Buried and Me were playing to a click for the Colors Live! DVD?
They had some programmed samples going on and the tempos seemed quite dead on with the studio album, but I've never actually read anything that confirms whether them playing to a click (well Blake Richardson, the drummer) or not.

Blake plays to a click track, but hes the only one.

Btw, can't anyone list some mainstream bands the use backing tracks?

Almost all electronic/industrial and pop/hiphop groups. Some random bigger names:

The Prodigy
Depeche Mode
Madonna
Rammstein
Fear Factory
In Flames
Evergrey (they used a real string quartet & backing singers only on the live DVD, normally they use backing tracks for those parts)

Almost all electronic/industrial and pop/hiphop groups. Some random bigger names:

The Prodigy
Depeche Mode
Madonna
Rammstein
Fear Factory
In Flames
Evergrey (they used a real string quartet & backing singers only on the live DVD, normally they use backing tracks for those parts)

Thanks...I was mainly interested in metal bands...

Don't evergrey have a keyboard player?

I honestly don't know whether it is taboo to "out bands" but some are very obvious. I can certainly confirm Lacuna Coil. Given the fact that Dirk always wears isolation phones on stage I think it's fair to point out Soilwork too.
A buddy of mine toured with a big band we'll call "Bothered" for arguments sake and laughed about a gauntlet of high 5's awaiting the drummer any night he managed to stay on the click.