How do make backing tracks?

Virgil.

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jul 12, 2005
Seattle, WA
I did a search but couldn't find if this has already been discussed... so i'm sorry if it has been.

I'm trying to figure out how to make backing tracks. (Primarily FEAR FACTORY Backing Tracks)

I've looked everywhere, and I can only find a couple already made. Does anyone know the best way to go about doing these?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

You mean recording it, or like, removing vocals from the actual track?

Uhmmm... I guess both really.

I play guitar and want something to jam along to without hearing the original guitar. I also have a friend that wants to sing on a few FF covers, so removing vocals would be nice too. (Just leaving Bass + Drums)

So, if removing guitars or vocals isn't too difficult, that would be preferred.

I assume that creating the actual track would be more difficult. But if that's my only option, I guess I could do that too.

I have no idea how to do either.
EDIT: and I don't know how ambitious I feel to have to program the drums myself. LOL.

I found a MIDI file for a few songs, and I guess I could import that into EZ Drummer from what I understand. But what about bass?

PM me a list of the songs you are interested in messing around with and I'll see what I can come up with dude. I can program the drums/use midi patterns of them, and I have Native Instruments Scarbee Pre-bass with sounds good!

MIDI bass not on the track?
you could try and find
a) some decent covers of them on youtube and download them
b) scout around for the production things where its the instruments singled out , they've done it with LOG, metallica, megadeath and alot of others
c) check recent guitar magazines for the tracks that are tabbed because they usually include a backing track
d) search through the vast amount of internetz

thats my list :lol:

forgot to mention, there's a programme that removes vocals, its not very good though it'll only work effectively if the vocals are panned dead centre because it basically just makes a duplicate thingy and then they go out of phase with each other and cancel out or something. I'm not sure if thats how it works (remembering this from about 2 years ago) but i know it only works with vocals panned centre

+1 on Guitar Pro import. The bass sounding midi isn't the worst, once you've got your guitar on it, it sounds fine :)

Guitar pro midi export, import into ezdrummer + trilian or something.

Problem is I don't have guitar pro or trilian, and I don't want to download a pirated copy either. As soon as I get cash i'll have to go get guitar pro and trilian i guess for the other tracks I want to do.

Does anyone have both and willing to do that for me? The song I really want is "Replica" for the time being.

Edit: I know MIDI's sound like shit on their own... but is this one supposed to sound this bad? :lol:
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/underground666/midi/replica.mid

Thanks for the input everyone. I appreciate your help. Although, all I've been able to do so far is just create the MIDI file (link above). I don't have Trilian or any other bass synth to simulate the bass. So any help there would be much appreciated! :kickass: