Question regarding Theocracy's live setup

IbanezShred08

New Metal Member
Nov 29, 2012
If this has already been asked please don't hurt me :lol:

I've noticed that Theocracy uses a good deal of backing tracks live and was wondering if anyone could give me a rundown of how their system works.

I've been looking for a keyboard player for my band for ages and we've decided to go with backing tracks until we find a guy. I've read like a few different methods of doing this but, whats the harm in learning one more? :D

I've seen a video or two of Nailed where the "Choir aaahs" or whatever played through the whole song, even the cool whip crack was there.

Edit: Here's one.

I think "I AM" uses it too, but I'm not entirely sure. I know its there in the beginning though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's what I've gathered from other boards. I suppose I should have specified better, I'm hoping someone might know how Theocracy specifically does it.

I'm looking at getting a stereo to 2 mono splitter and splitting the left and right channels of the backing track. I'll have the click panned hard right and the backing panned hard left (or maybe center). Then just get a really long aux cable and plug it into the left channel and into the PA. From there just let the drummer control the Ipod/laptop and have headphones plugged into the right channel.

Seems like a super, bare-bones, method of doing it and I'm sure there are much better ways to do it. I'm pretty sure a simple aux cable is gonna cause some issues with sound quality. Running sound is pretty foreign to me.. Just let me play the stuff, someone else can set it up! :lol:

When I had seen them I asked Matt if he used a keyboard or such, and he said it was just an ipod. I believe the one channel goes through the board and the other to Shawn so he can play to the click track.

shaq.gif

ipod into a mixer. it is split so only i hear the beep boop boop boop while you guys get to hear the ear sex that matt has prepared for you ;) but to be specific, I honestly dont know exactly how it works, i just hit play on the ipod and hope i dont get off from the click track... which i have done several times haha

Shawn answers and even he doesn't know :lol:

Thanks for responding though. I think my idea will work for now, I'm just concerned about the sound quality degrading. It works pretty well for our rehearsal space but our PA is pawn shop stuff and I'd hardly call it top of the line so it generally doesn't sound very good anyway.