backing vocals...

Simon_Empyrios

empYrios guitar master
Aug 10, 2004
Rimini, Italy
www.empyrios.it
Hi guys, I'm trying to mixing a bunch of backing vocals of my song. I need some advices... usually, do you compress/eq the vocal lines one by one, or do you compress once the "group"? I have about 20 tracks of backing vocals, and I want them to sound "boomy" :hotjump: almost like a gregorian choir.... :p thank you!!!!! keep rockin'

Simo

Yeah, that works good. Make the Stereo really wide, and if there are like basses/tenors/sopranos try to 'group' them so you can have a more 'choir-like' sound. Usually the bass and sopranos goes on the top ends (like the lower voice 100% left the higher 100% right), but you never know.. i've heard some weird choirs arrangements for great effects.
Compression on the whole does good (just don't add toooo much), and a good ambience is essential for the boom.
Good harmonies are a great deal too. Try to wide the range of the 'choir', by adding some low bass arrangements to high tenor vibratos. This makes the whole deal grow.
Sorry 'bout the large post :p. Backing vocals aren't a great thread in a metal forum, unfortunately. See ya!

LynchpiN said:
Yeah, that works good. Make the Stereo really wide, and if there are like basses/tenors/sopranos try to 'group' them so you can have a more 'choir-like' sound. Usually the bass and sopranos goes on the top ends (like the lower voice 100% left the higher 100% right), but you never know.. i've heard some weird choirs arrangements for great effects.
Compression on the whole does good (just don't add toooo much), and a good ambience is essential for the boom.
Good harmonies are a great deal too. Try to wide the range of the 'choir', by adding some low bass arrangements to high tenor vibratos. This makes the whole deal grow.
Sorry 'bout the large post :p. Backing vocals aren't a great thread in a metal forum, unfortunately. See ya!

Good advice! The demo I'm mixing for my band has some pretty deep vocal arrangements, so I'm learning a lot as I go along about treating such a layered piece. Very interesting, and very strenuous on my computer!