BACKING VOCALS !!??

Gaspard

Aug 1, 2007
Paris, FRANCE
I am a big fan of 80's Metal bands, especially Extreme, Mr. Big, Van Halen.
And almost every chorus has the main singer singing it and these backing vocals wich sound dull (in a god way), how do they record them and what type of harmonization do they use ?

Here are some songs for examples: Extreme-It's a monster
Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy (The Electric Drill Song)-Mr. Big

I just want to get that big gang sining sound in harmony that is the key to an 80's pop metal sound.

I am a big fan of 80's Metal bands, especially Extreme, Mr. Big, Van Halen.
And almost every chorus has the main singer singing it and these backing vocals wich sound dull (in a god way), how do they record them and what type of harmonization do they use ?

Here are some songs for examples: Extreme-It's a monster
Daddy, Brother, Lover, Little Boy (The Electric Drill Song)-Mr. Big

I just want to get that big gang sining sound in harmony that is the key to an 80's pop metal sound.

You need a good vocal chain, good singers and probably some app for pitch correction.
If all the vocal tracks are in perfect harmony with eachother it really punches through the mix.

You also will want to have multiple singers doing the same part. For instance, if you have a section that will be in 3 part harmony, try to have 3 or more capable singers all singing the exact same part at the same time (ala gang vox). Repeat for each harmony to the main melody. Even with singing the same exact melody, just having different voices at the same time almost builds the feel and sound of harmony inside harmony. Throw a chick in there also if you can. Afterwards, bounce down to a couple of stereo tracks, compress, verb & EQ to taste and that should get you where you want

Good luck and maybe post some clips when you get something done.

Cheers!

www.myspace.com/shadowdancemusic