Bad Religion Cover - Mix and Singing Critique Please

HOFX

Apr 12, 2012
Hey, I've busted this out, a cover of Bad Religion's Do What You Want (in signature), it was a lot harder than it sounds.

I would be very appreciative to receive comments about the mix - tried to get a punchy kit, even yet defined bass tone and present guitar.

Also, some honest feedback on the singing would be valuable. I tried to be a bit aggressive, to try and "own" all the notes and not come across as forced or struggling. I think I did an 8/10 job on it.

Thanks in advance!

Not bad! Guitar and bass are good! Kick a little unpleasant in the lower middle. Snare slightly thicker need. Vocals not bad, but you need to spend an easy tuning. Cut the nasal tones. I am not a pro.

Thanks for the feedback. The nasal singing tones is exactly why I went to get lessons, and if you listened to some earlier recordings, you would probably agree that I have made some big improvement, but more work is needed - when you say cut the nasal tones, do you mean by EQ or by vocal delivery?

With the snare, I have yet to start experimenting with reverb sends on that, been more focussed on getting a solid bass / drum bed.

Sounds awesome! I would automate the vocals (and lower a bit). And I didnt mind about the kick =)

About the vocals, you should work a bit more when connecting the lower notes with higher at 50~60 and at the end, no eq will tame that nasal problem =)

About the vocals, you should work a bit more when connecting the lower notes with higher at 50~60 and at the end, no eq will tame that nasal problem =)

Do you mean about the 50-60 s mark?

Yeah, I'm getting more lessons to try correct the nasal sound and improve the tone.

So I remixed it. I changed some levels between vocals, guitars and drum-bass buss. I put a high shelf on the guitars and a low-mid scoop, and put some volume automation on the vocals.

I think it's made the overall mix sound more cohesive and brighter.

Thoughts?

EDIT: and now I can't hear the cymbals….hmmm..