Band I recorded over the weekend.

ffaudio

Aug 17, 2006
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I finally got a band in here that I like. Woo.

Anyway. This is the prelim mix that I did yesterday. The toms I think are too loud in a few places (near the end mostly).

The kick is odd. The drum I recorded sounded great and exactly like his kick, but didn't have enough "click" to cut through and be heard easily. I took a really clicky sample and triggered it and high passed it to get just the click coming through. I think I might try duping the actual kick track and trying the same thing.

www.ffaudio.com/music/nla/alongtheline-m2.mp3

Wow! I like it, it's pretty good man. All in all, I'd say it sounds great! The only thing I would say is that the toms are lacking something, not exactly sure what, maybe a little more attack might help them out some. Just a suggestion, you might want to try adding a little bit of verb to that snare, and set your decay to the timing of the song. Doing so might help out those toms.

Wow! I like it, it's pretty good man. All in all, I'd say it sounds great! The only thing I would say is that the toms are lacking something, not exactly sure what, maybe a little more attack might help them out some. Just a suggestion, you might want to try adding a little bit of verb to that snare, and set your decay to the timing of the song. Doing so might help out those toms.

Thanks for the listen. I have a plate on the snare and toms. I'm actually terrible with reverb so I tend to use little or none instead of a lot and overdoing it and ruining everything. Haha. What would you suggest on the snare and I'll mess around with it?

For me Snares are pretty difficult to get them right where you want them. But with your recording, you have a VERY good starting point. I would experiment with a large room verb, set your decay to the timing of the song and add just a tad bit of pre-delay, but not much. Then adjust the "room-size" knob till it just sounds good. What I attempt to go for is to make the snare sound like its recorded in a nice big live room, but make it so the reverb isn't really noticeable, by that I mean make it so the average listener doesn't know you added reverb, but it just does something to the drum mix, like icing on the cake. I use Static -X Shadow zone as a good reference. Those drums are the real deal, and not sampled, and very well mixed. I would also suggest boosting around 2k-6k on those toms to give them that attack (or click as you refer to on the kick drum.