Band of the Day: Borknagar!

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
What is your favorite Borknagar album, and why?

For me, it's The Olden Domain. Something about the song structures and melodies found on that album just hit me right... it's a big, big album that doesn't get caught up in some of the slightly more cerebral excursions they do later on, and it still retains some of the dirtiness of the debut. It's just a pile of songs that are all memorable and there aren't any stinkers.

Another of my favorite bands. I have all their stuff. I think The Archaic Course is definately their best, and possibly one of the top 3 metal releases ever!

I know most people think Empiricism is their best, but I tend to think it's their worst, actually. Seems watered down. Vintersorg did a good job on vocals, but overall it's just lacking something.

The Olden Domain & Quintessence are great as well!

The first one is their best. The riffs are ridiculously majestic and Garm has NEVER sounded better (this is my favourite Garm performance). One of my favourite Norwegian albums ever.

While I like all the albums after the debut (except for Empiricism - i HATE their new singer), they never matched its brilliance.

Empiricism. Majestic, brilliant, bordering to genius at times. Brilliant stuff. Quintessence and Archaic Course are also masterpieces, but Empiricism is THE masterpiece. Here's waiting for their new album..