Band Recommendations From This Forum

Frank

Electric Monk
Jan 24, 2003
Painesville, Ohio
Visit site
I've been working massive overtime, so I thought I'd treat myself to some "new" music. I searched this forum for recommended bands (alot of threads) and got some good ones.

I'm hooked on Riverside. I've got Second Life Syndrome and Voices In My Head. This is truly a great band. I hope they have many more releases in the future.

I also got a couple CDs from Threshold. Another great "find" for me. I can't believe I never came across this band before.

I picked up Christ 0 from Vanden Plas. That's my first album from them. That's another band I should have listened to years ago.

I was never big into Kansas while growing up. To compound the issue I had some bad exposure to Kansas while I was in the Navy. It had to do with my roommate, his cheap single speaker tape recorder/player, his Darth Vader mask and his blanket...baad memories!o_O

So..I picked up Masque and Kansas. Both are excellent. I had no idea how far ahead of their time they were. It's uncanny how Ted's voice can sound like Steve's.

I'll be picking up more stuff in the near future. Sometimes overtime can be a good thing.

Does anyone here listen to Live? If I had to rate, they'd be my 3rd favorite band (behind Rush and Enchant). I haven't heard them mentioned here, probably because they aren't considered prog, neo prog, etc. Truly a great band with great songs/lyrics.

Well... no prog here, but I'm quite into Styx's DVD "Return To Paradise", never thought Dennis DeYoung could provide such wonderful vocals, it's been a great surprise, totally recommended.

|ng.

Does anyone here listen to Live? If I had to rate, they'd be my 3rd favorite band (behind Rush and Enchant). I haven't heard them mentioned here, probably because they aren't considered prog, neo prog, etc. Truly a great band with great songs/lyrics.

MAN this is a killer band here ! I was totally addicted to their albums from Mental Jewelry until…*I think Birds Of Prey great songwriters and musicians
Throwing Copper is the album who brought me to them and it's a real masterpiece

Yea, I'm also a big Live fan...at least the first few albums. Their latest albums haven't really done much for me, but Throwing Copper is a superb album, though.

I like Live. Can't say they blow me away too much, but they have their share of nice moments on a lot of songs. Pretty good in concert too. I saw them about a year ago for the 1st time.

Check out
dredg - EL CIELO
Kaddisfly - (in February) SET SAIL THE PRAIRE..<-- I've listened to this album like 50 times already since July when it leaked and got pushed back for touring purposes. A lot of big albums coming out next year, but by far, this album is on top right now. It's a landmark record..

Both Threshold and Vanden Plas are favorites of mine. You also might want to check out Ayreon, Shadow Gallery, and Conception. They're probably three bands that a lot of people would list as definitive prog rock/metal bands. If you like neoclassical stuff along the lines of Yngwie, a lot of people also like Symphony X and Kamelot. Actually, the fomer singer from Conception, Roy Khan, joined Kamelot a couple of albums ago.

I like Live, especially their first album, mental jewellry, I think they kind of lost it after Distance to here.

I recommend hmm..Porcupine tree, Anathema and Katatonia

I don't know where to start. I like many of the bands already mentioned. For non-prog, I agree about Live, a great band. I'm only missing "Mental Jewelry". A newer band I'm just getting into is Andromeda. They play some real good melodic prog-metal. Zero Hour is very cool, I love their new one, "Specs of Pictures Burnt Beyond". IZZ play symphonic/neo prog and are great live. For any fusion fans, I highly reccommend Ohm, which features Chris Poland, formerly of Megadeth and Damn the Machine. Another couple killer fusion bands both hail from Japan and both infuse symphonic prog into their sound, Kenso, and KBB. KBB even has a bit of a kansas influence, and not just because of having a violinist.
Pain of Salvation is an increible band, but their last album "Be" was a mess. They have a new one coming called "Scarsick". I'm hoping they redeem themselves. Please check out their other albums though.