Bands/Artists people would be surprised to hear that you like

My Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West, some dick at my work cranked it for ages and then it actually grew on me >_>

I really like classical music - especially Baroque composers.
Slaughter of the Bluegrass, although I don't think a bluegrass band that coveres amon amarth/at the gates really counts...
Chase and Status.
The Offspring
Bad Religion
Immortal Technique
The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
Panic! At the disco.
Coheed and Cambria
3 Doors down
The Dresden Dolls
Emilie Autumn
Voltaire
Anti-flag
Alkaline trio

Not ashamed to say any of these. I may love black metal and folk metal, but I'll listen to all genres really.

Goo Goo Dolls - been a fan for many years
Rascal Flatts - Not big on country, but that (Gary Levox) guy can sing.
Fuel - powerful hard rock
Celine Dion - she has one of the greatest voices ever
Blackfoot - under-appreciated hard/southern rock band

Bryant

Elton John

Elton was an incredible songwriter back in the 70's... even some of his 80's songs are good. like most performers who've lasted decades his best days are many years behind him. not only does he have a ton of great singles but he has quite a few great albums as well.

Elton was an incredible songwriter back in the 70's... even some of his 80's songs are good. like most performers who've lasted decades his best days are many years behind him. not only does he have a ton of great singles but he has quite a few great albums as well.

Nah

I saw Elton John live here in Tasmania because someone paid for my ticket,by the end of his concert I was nearly in the foetal position in my chair with my head in my hands wishing it would hurry up and be over.

I don't know if any one would be surprised at anything I listen to coz people who know me know my head is all over the place but some would be surprised that i'm going to see an orchestra play a beethoven symphony next week and more surprised that I spent 3 hours the other day playing guitar solo's over Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On (tho I was very drunk and trying to piss the neighbours off)

Emilie Autumn
Amanda Palmer
Aurelio Voltaire
Jethro Tull
Thrice
Unwritten Law
The Dear Hunter
Genesis
The Ordinary Boys
Regina Spektor
Bob Dylan
Red Hot Chili Peppers
David Bowie
Tom Waits
X Japan

Sade (don't typically "get" jazz)
RunDMC typically hate rap.
John Denver - don't typically like country, but I do like some folk and JD was folk disguised as country.
Pre-80's Chicago. They were insane !!
The Beatles, Revolver and later.
Pearl Jam - early work

I guess that is enough... and for the guy that named Bryan Adams..... kudos. Man he is a GREAT singer !! Steve Perry (of Journey) and ALL singers who have sang for Bad Company as well.

Bryant

Depends who I'm talking to, but these may be the most surprising:

Clarissa and The Straightjackets (Melissa Joan Hart's rock album from her children's TV show Clarissa Explains It All)
Concord Dawn - mostly just their 1st album/techstep stuff, but then they were metal fans and did an err... drum 'n' bass version of Raining Blood
Daphne & Celeste
Fatboy Slim - got some nostalgia for the album You've Come A Long Way, Baby but doubt I could get into his others

I don't think it's that surprising that I listen to some quality hip-hop, pop, old vocal jazz and occasionally pop punk etc. There are also some bands I listen to where I wouldn't rate any albums higher than 5/10 and I could hardly even say I 'like' them, such as Creed or Linkin Park's first album & EP.