Bands Similar To Wood of Ypres.

suddenlytragic

New Metal Member
Jan 17, 2012
Hi, I've just recently discovered Woods of Ypres and they have become one of my favorite bands. I was hoping for some recommendations of some bands that play a similar style of blackened doom. But more importantly I'm looking for some bands that have the same impact with their lyrics that David Gold had. He was able to write songs about loneliness, pain, and despair and somehow make them inspiring and uplifting at the same time.

So thanks in advance and R.I.P. David Gold.

(This is my first post on Ultimate Metal.)

Musically, I can't really think of anyone resembling WoY.

Lyrically, like zekeyou wrote, Sentenced definitely! Their lyrics are like they 'surfaced on the other side', knowing that life is crap, but deal with it, and ironising over it. For that overall melancholy, the other bands zekeyou mentioned, but also Rapture (search: The Past Nightmares on youtube). Actually, just search for finnish metal on youtube....

Thanks for the recs.

Rapture and earlier Agalloch is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. Awesome stuff.

Also checking out a lot of Katatonia and of course, Sentenced.

Keep them coming if you know of any more.

well.. Sentenced, Amorphis and Agalloch is already mentioned :) Also worth of checking out.. Black Sun Aeon, Insomnium, Swallow the sun, Before the dawn,
Lake of tears, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Pain Confessor, Illnath, Catamenia, KYPCK (if you know same russian :) There is also 2 ex-sentenced members)...
well.. that was just a few pick from my playlist..hope you like it :)