Bands that play live to a click

My band will only play to a click. In practice, live, or even just jamming, we put on a tempo and just jam. Really makes us all tighter players.

We use the ipod method. I just export clicks tracks from DAW and make mp3s. Drummer carries around a little headphone amp, and he uses overear DW headphones??? We uses some drum specific head/earphones.

It is SO nice ALWAYS playing to a click. Especially when trying to do consitant 6 string sweeps at 185 it sucks when your drummer speeds the song up to 195++!!!!

thanks guys! the SCL2 looks good and affordable.

I just can't see regular earbuds isolating nowhere near enough. Can't afford to damage my hearing.

I don't particularily like headphones - plus the ones I have that are supposed to isolate noise well, aren't doing it. Last time I tried to play with them on, my head blew off. Those were t.bones though

Our drummer has a mixer that allows him to set individual levels for click, playback and monitor-mix (coming from FOH or a monitor-desk if the venue has one).

Last friday I was recording Mnemic, Sybreed and Hacride (holy god) in grooverial metal fest, and all of them play to a click, thru a mono sampler. None of them used laptop or something similar...
Next week I´ll mix some songs of the festival, I will let you know, and who knows may be I could share some tracks with you...I´ll keep ya informed!

Our drummer has a mixer that allows him to set individual levels for click, playback and monitor-mix (coming from FOH or a monitor-desk if the venue has one).

+1, almost. We use a Fostex MR-8 and a small Alto mixer. Stereotrack coming from the Fostex with the click on the left and backing tracks on the right. We have a 57 coming from the kick just for monitoring but depending on the venue, we can get the whole monitoring as well. Our drummer uses Shure SCL3s. He tried the SCL2s but didn't like them, too bulky or something..

We had a problem with the click bleeding into the FOH, but got around that by sending the backing tracks first to a DI and splitting from there to the drummers mixer and FOH. (A bit of a "d'oh!" moment there..)

The rest of us just listen to the drummer and if possible, the backing tracks are fed to the monitors.

In your scenarios, only the drummer receives the click? What about the guitar-only parts for example?

We automate everything via DAW. Midi controls amp channels, envelope lanes control FX, metronome goes to headphones (not only drummer, but everybody's in ear) and backing tracks (back vocals, orchestra, inverse cymbals, even glitch fx for one song).
You only need a potent pc/laptop, freshly installed OS, and a decent audio interface.
Also, the less processing, the safer it is.

Is nice to know somebody is doing this, I was planning to do it myself. I assume that with this method you only need to send the FOH your fully "mixed" live sound, at least for vocals and guitars. Anyway, could you elaborate a little more on the subject, like hows the chain set up, what goes into what, what have been your results and stuff.

Gracias Erick.

In your scenarios, only the drummer receives the click? What about the guitar-only parts for example?

In my band´s case, we couldn´t afford in-ear monitoring so the drummer had the huge headphones with the click, so in guitar only parts there had to be some kind of timing from the drummer, maybe even a little ride hit every 4 notes or something, just so it wouldn´t all fall down.

He clicks his closed hat through them....or does something else easy that isn't very noticeable but we can still hear it

My suggestion in this topic is to get in-ears with the ability to have inserts that have the vanes on them instead of the rounded rubber buds. I used some with rounded buds and they fell out instantly. I havn't used ones with the vanes on them, but I have used earplugs live with them and they do not fall out. Cheap solution to those of us who cannot afford custom molded.

Get this:
EATFL1-6-large.jpg

not:
IES4L-large.jpg