Bands whose albums you owned at each roster announcement

skyrefuge

Feb 7, 2002
Suburban Chicago, USA
www.gregie.com
For those who question the impact of Arcturus, their announcement has me considering ProgPower more seriously than I have at any time in the last 6 years. Since I see no shortage of shows in Chicago, it takes something pretty exclusive to get me to go to Atlanta. Arcturus isn't quite Conception-level exclusive (what got me to PPUSA VI), but it's probably a slight bit ahead of Rage (what got me to PPUSA IV).

Arcturus!!! At ProgPower!!! :yow:

Over the years my shifting music interests have moved me away from the core ProgPower demographic, but at the same time, Glenn has thrown in bands that pull ProgPower back *toward* my musical interests. I remember over a decade ago trying (and failing!) to sell 'La Masquerade Infernale' to the Perpetual Motion forum as "a slightly darker version of Dream Theater's 'Awake'", so Arcturus (along with bands like Amorphis, Tyr, or Orphaned Land) seems more like a case of ProgPower coming to meet me.

Anyhow, to the topic. When trying to figure out how this lineup compared to others in terms of overall draw for me, I asked, "how many of the bands announced for each ProgPower did I already know and like at each announcement?" I used ownership of an album from the band as a proxy for "know and like", and here are my results:

#01: 4/11 (went)
#02: 7/10
#03: 5/10 (went)
#04: 5/10 (went)
#05: 6/10
#06: 5/10 (went)
#07: 2/10
#08: 2/10
#09: 6/12
#10: 4/11
#11: 4/12
#12: 6/12

All the ProgPowers that I've attended* got me there with 50% or less of their rosters, and look, I have 50% of XII's roster. Hmm. Overall, I'm surprised at how consistent the numbers have been for me over the years. Yeah, things fell off a cliff for VII and VIII, and weren't great for X and XI, but having IX (maybe one I should have gone to) and XII back at the level of III and IV was something I wouldn't have expected.

Of course, those totals come through a combination of "new" bands (Arcturus, While Heaven Wept, Amorphis, etc.) and ProgPower-core bands that I own decade+ old albums from, acquired back when I was still in the ProgPower-core demographic (Eldritch, Labyrinth, Iron Savior, etc.) Which is a good indication of how there is not a single thing that sells out ProgPower; rather, it's a coalition of sometimes-disparate interests that come together in aggregate form to make a full house. And Glenn seems to do a damn good job in shaping lineups to build those coalitions.

Here are the lineups for each year, with the bands I've owned albums from bolded. Note that these are the lineups *as announced* (as far as I could determine), not the lineups that actually performed (since I'm comparing too the PPUSA XII announcement).

#01: Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey, Jag Panzer, Destiny's End, Ion Vein, Reading Zero, Zero Hour, Power of Omens, Etheria, Onward
#02: Symphony X, Kamelot, Evergrey, ARK, Angel Dust, Steel Prophet, Spiral Architect, Nightingale, Balance of Power, Superior
#03: Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra, Pain of Salvation, The Devin Townsend Band, Edguy, Threshold, Silent Force, Reading Zero, Zero Hour
#04: Nightwish, Rage, Symphony X, Evergrey, Circle II Circle, Vanden Plas, Secret Sphere, Mercenary, Pagan's Mind, Redemption
#05: Savatage, Edguy, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Dreamscape, Adagio, Into Eternity
#06: Stratovarius, Angra, Conception, Therion, Orphaned Land, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, Manticora, Circus Maximus, Stride
#07: Evergrey, Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Wastefall
#08: Sonata Arctica, After Forever, Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, Redemption, Virgin Steele, Firewind, Communic, Raintime
#09: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Jon Oliva's Pain, Riverside, Volbeat, Iron Savior, Andromeda, Rob Rock, Elvenking, Spheric Universe Experience, Serenity, Pathosray
#10: Fates Warning, Andre Matos, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Circus Maximus, Tomorrow's Eve, Power Quest
#11: HammerFall, Kamelot, Delain, Tarot, DGM, Týr, Oceans of Sadness, Stormwarrior, Seventh Wonder, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox, Illusion Suite
#12: Therion, Sanctuary, Dream Evil, Arcturus, Labyrinth, Mob Rules, Red Circuit, Eldritch, While Heaven Wept, Voyager, Haken, Creation's End

One final interesting fact falls out of this: I can see why the headliners are headliners. Even though I only matched on 44% (56/128) of the bands in the history of ProgPower, I hit on 88% (21/24!) of the headliners. If they match with *me*, that means they must have a pretty widespread audience that will draw from a wide pool of potential attendees. Nothing really unexpected there I guess, but interesting to see it in the numbers so starkly.

So I'm curious to see how the numbers of other people compare to mine. If you want to play along with the band lists, I think you can copy the list section from my post and paste it into your reply (rather than using the quote function) to remove my bolding, and then add your own. And I suppose this thread must have been done in years past, but I don't remember seeing it recently.

* The ProgPower with the biggest match for me was really day 1 of ProgPower Europe 2005, with 67%: Epica, Green Carnation, Orphaned Land, Novembers Doom, Throes of Dawn, Disillusion

Neil

I'll start with #3 as that's when I really started liking metal.

#03: Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra, Pain of Salvation, The Devin Townsend Band, Edguy, Threshold, Silent Force, Reading Zero, Zero Hour [Did not attend, but I did see Blind Guardian on the US tour that was attached to the fest.]
#04: Nightwish, Rage, Symphony X, Evergrey, Circle II Circle, Vanden Plas, Secret Sphere, Mercenary, Pagan's Mind, Redemption [Did not attend]
#05: Savatage, Edguy, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Dreamscape, Adagio, Into Eternity [Attended]
#06: Stratovarius, Angra, Conception, Therion, Orphaned Land, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, Manticora, Circus Maximus, Stride [Did not attend]
#07: Evergrey, Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Wastefall [Attended]
#08: Sonata Arctica, After Forever, Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, Redemption, Virgin Steele, Firewind, Communic, Raintime [Did not attend]
#09: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Jon Oliva's Pain, Riverside, Volbeat, Iron Savior, Andromeda, Rob Rock, Elvenking, Spheric Universe Experience, Serenity, Pathosray [Did not attend]
#10: Fates Warning, Andre Matos, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Circus Maximus, Tomorrow's Eve, Power Quest [Attended]
#11: HammerFall, Kamelot, Delain, Tarot, DGM, Týr, Oceans of Sadness, Stormwarrior, Seventh Wonder, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox, Illusion Suite [Attended]
#12: Therion, Sanctuary, Dream Evil, Arcturus, Labyrinth, Mob Rules, Red Circuit, Eldritch, While Heaven Wept, Voyager, Haken, Creation's End [Will attend]

My coverage probably doesn't call for much analysis. I think I am largely average as far as PP attendees go. Only one headliner was completely unknown to me (After Forever, and they still are today) but from 2002-present I have at least been somewhat familiar with all of the bands in slots 3 and up. Bands with whom I was most familiar at the time they were announced include Pain of Salvation (owned whole discography as of the 2004 announcement), Evergrey and Nevermore both (had all but one of their albums at the time of the 2006 announcement), Arcturus (have all albums and DVD but not Disguised Masters at the time of 2011 announcement), Kamelot (had all but one of their albums at the time of the 2010 announcement, although that's because I bought the back-catalogue at the 2004 show).

The most bands I already liked at the time of announcement is 5. I attended all three years in which that was the case.
The most bands I already liked at the time of the announcement on years I did NOT attend is 4, which was the case twice.
Least number of familiar bands for a year that I did attend is 3.

Since I was using Rhapsody for years, owning had a different meaning to me. But these are the bands whose albums I owned at the time of their announcement.

#06: 1/10 (went)
#07: 0/10 (went)
#08: 1/10 (went)
#09: 5/12 (went)
#10: 1/11 (went)
#11: 2/12 (went)
#12: 2/12 (going)

#06: Stratovarius, Angra, Conception, Therion, Orphaned Land, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, Manticora, Circus Maximus, Stride
#07: Evergrey, Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Wastefall
#08: Sonata Arctica, After Forever, Primal Fear, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, Redemption, Virgin Steele, Firewind, Communic, Raintime
#09: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Jon Oliva's Pain, Riverside, Volbeat, Iron Savior, Andromeda, Rob Rock, Elvenking, Spheric Universe Experience, Serenity, Pathosray
#10: Fates Warning, Andre Matos, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Circus Maximus, Tomorrow's Eve, Power Quest
#11: HammerFall, Kamelot, Delain, Tarot, DGM, Týr, Oceans of Sadness, Stormwarrior, Seventh Wonder, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox, Illusion Suite
#12: Therion, Sanctuary, Dream Evil, Arcturus, Labyrinth, Mob Rules, Red Circuit, Eldritch, While Heaven Wept, Voyager, Haken, Creation's End

I will start at #3 as well since that was the first one I attended...

#03: Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Angra, Pain of Salvation, The Devin Townsend Band, Edguy, Threshold, Silent Force, Reading Zero, Zero Hour
#04: Nightwish, Rage, Symphony X, Evergrey, Circle II Circle, Vanden Plas, Secret Sphere, Mercenary, Pagan's Mind, Redemption
#05: Savatage, Edguy, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Tad Morose, Brainstorm, Wuthering Heights, Dreamscape, Adagio, Into Eternity

#07: Evergrey, Jorn, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Zero Hour

#07: Evergrey, Jorn, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Zero Hour

2: 6/10 (went)
3: 7/10 (went)
4: 6/10 (went)
5: 9/10 (went)
6: 9/10 (went)
7: 6/10 (went)
8: 9/10 (went)
9: 7/12 (went)
10: 8/11 (went)
11: 7/13 (went)
12: 7/12 ...uh...

#02: Symphony X, Kamelot, Evergrey, ARK, Angel Dust, Steel Prophet, Spiral Architect, Nightingale, Balance of Power, Superior
#07: Evergrey, Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Thunderstone, Savage Circus, Vision Divine, Pyramaze, Zero Hour
#09: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Jon Oliva's Pain, Riverside, Mustasch, Iron Savior, Andromeda, Rob Rock, Elvenking, Spheric Universe Experience, Saint Daemon, Pathosray
#10: Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Sabaton, Orphaned Land, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Circus Maximus, Mindflow, Cage
#11: HammerFall, Kamelot, Delain, Tarot, DGM, Týr, Oceans of Sadness, Stormwarrior, Seventh Wonder, Nocturnal Rites, Leaves Eyes, Blackguard, Illusion Suite

I never knew about the festival until III but I had albums by Onward, Symphony X, Kamelot & Angel Dust from the first 2 fests.

III = Silent Force, Blind Guardian & Gamma Ray, my friend was into Angra and loaned me a couple [attended]
  • walked away digging Threshold & Edguy
IV = Nightwish, Rage, Synmphony X, Secret Sphere & Circle II Circle (can't recall release on that). [attended, Gold Badge]
  • walked away digging Mercenary, some Vanden Plas, Evergrey and Pagan's Mind
V = Brainstorm, Savatage (obviously), Edguy (at this point), Kamelot, Tad Morose [attended, GB]
  • got Into Eternity, Dreamscape, some Adagio (boring live for me), Wuthering Heights and Halcyon's Way
VI = Stratovarious, Angra (at this time), Therion, Pink Cream 69, Symphorce, DC Cooper and Manticora [attended, GB]
  • Got Orphaned Land, Circus Maximus and Conception out of this one.
VII = Epica, Evergrey (at this time), Mercenary & Thunderstone.. oh and Nevermore (bastards), Theocracy, Circle II Circle & Leatherwolf. [attended, GB]
  • Took Jorn, Freak Kitchen, Savage Circus and Vision divine out of that one.
I had to quit attending at this time but had albums of the next few years prior to announcement and I would have continued going every year if I had the finances.

Sonata Arctica, After forever, Primal Fear, Firewind, Iced Earth, Jon Oliva's Pain, Iron Savior, Helloween, Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Royal Hunt, Hammerfall, Delain, DGM, Nocturnal Rites, Leave's Eyes, Accept & Manowar.

After checking out bands I didn't know about I ended up snagging 1 or some albums of the following; Pathosray, Communic, Rob Rock, Elvenking, Amorphis, Spheric Universe Experiment, Sabaton, Cage (thanks for the free smapler management and band) and Tarot.

I'll start with #3 since that was the first year I attended. I haven't missed one since.

Keeping in mind of course that the announcement process has changed quite a bit over the years (dribbles of emails to a full blown video) I can only go on what I had when they were announced to all non-gb holders up until 3 (?!?!) years ago, when they started to do the video.
#01: Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey
#02: Symphony X, Kamelot, Evergrey, ARK, Balance of Power, Superior
#03: Pain of Salvation, The Devin Townsend Band, Threshold
#04: Nightwish, Symphony X, Evergrey, Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind, Redemption (First Attending)
#05: Savatage, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation, Brainstorm, Dreamscape, Into Eternity
#06: Conception, Therion, Symphorce, Manticora, Circus Maximus (First GB)
#07: Evergrey, Nevermore, Epica, Mercenary, Vision Divine, Pyramaze
#08: After Forever, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, Redemption
#09: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Riverside
#10: Fates Warning, Brainstorm, Pagan's Mind, Orphaned Land, Circus Maximus (Last GB)
#11: Kamelot, Delain, Tarot
#12: Therion, Red Circuit

#1: Power Of Omens, Pain Of Salvation, Symphony X
#2: Symphony X, Evergrey, ARK, Superior
#3: Blind Guardian, Angra, Pain Of Salvation, Devin Townsend, Edguy, Threshold, Silent Force, Zero Hour
#4: Nightwish, Symphony X, Evergrey, Vanden Plas, Secret Sphere
#5: Savatage, Edguy, Pain Of Salvation
#6: Stratovarius, Angra, Conception, Therion, Pink Cream 69
#7: Evergrey, Jorn, Epica, Zero Hour
#8: Sonata Arctica, After Forever, Threshold, Redemption
#9: Iced Earth, Andromeda, Rob Rock, Spheric Universe Experience
#10: Fates Warning, Crimson Glory, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Orphaned Land, Circus Maximus
#11: Delain, Týr, Seventh Wonder, Leaves' Eyes
#12: Therion, Labyrinth, Eldrich, While Heaven Wept, Voyager

I'll start with IX thru next year, even though I unfortunately had to miss this past year at the last minute.

IX: Iced Earth, Amorphis, Riverside, Elvenking,
Showcase: Helloween, Gamma Ray

X: Crimson Glory, Brainstorm
Showcase: Primal Fear, Enchant

XI: Hammerfall, Kamelot
Showcase: Leprous
Midweek: Vangough

XII: Mob Rules, Sanctuary, While Heaven Wept, Labyrinth, Dream Evil, Therion

Hmmm. Keep in mind I haven't been to each one for reasons other than musical taste

#01: 6/11 (nope)
#02: 6/10 (nope)
#03: 6/10 (nope)
#04: 6/10 (nope)
#05: 4/10 (went)
#06: 4/10 (went)
#07: 3/10 (nope)
#08: 2/10 (nope)
#09: 4/12 (nope)
#10: 3/11 (went)
#11: 3/12 (nope)
#12: 5/12 (hope so)

Here are the lineups for each year, with the bands I've owned albums from bolded. Note that these are the lineups *as announced* (as far as I could determine), not the lineups that actually performed (since I'm comparing too the PPUSA XII announcement).

#01: Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Evergrey, Jag Panzer, Destiny's End, Ion Vein, Reading Zero, Zero Hour, Power of Omens, Etheria, Onward

* The ProgPower with the biggest match for me was really day 1 of ProgPower Europe 2005, with 67%: Epica, Green Carnation, Orphaned Land, Novembers Doom, Throes of Dawn, Disillusion

Neil[/QUOTE]

Rene always had better lists than Glenn did. If only I could have been able to go to Europe.

Hope my list isn't seen as just a bad outlier from the mean. Although being outisde the standard deviation is a good thing.

I honestly don't recall what albums I had at the various times of the announcements (at least since 6, when I started going to ProgPower).

I'll start with 6, as that was the first one I started going to (and was where I was really starting to get into this genre of metal, and getting out of the musical rut I was in up to that point, and why I got into this genre in the first place, as the music I was hearing on the radio at the time was just not "doing it" for me):

#10: Fates Warning, Andre Matos, Brainstorm, Royal Hunt, Pagan's Mind, Sabaton (sponsored), Orphaned Land, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Circus Maximus, Tomorrow's Eve, Power Quest
#11: HammerFall, Kamelot, Delain, Tarot, DGM (sponsored), Týr, Oceans of Sadness, Stormwarrior, Seventh Wonder, Nocturnal Rites, Paradox, Illusion Suite (bought at PP where announced, but before the announcements)
#12: Therion, Sanctuary, Dream Evil, Arcturus, Labyrinth, Mob Rules, Red Circuit, Eldritch (might be sponsoring), While Heaven Wept, Voyager, Haken (bought at PP where announced, but before announcements), Creation's End

That at PP 6, I was just really getting into this and exploring out the genre. Interesting at 8, I had albums from all the bands, save one (Raintime) before they were announced.