Bands you are shocked are not appearing next year...

I'm not justifying why they shouldn't be here. I'm just telling you why I don't consider them any more big of a draw than a band like Astral Doors. You and I are just going to have to agree to disagree on popularity perception of certain bands and how to choose a roster for a festival. Thankfully, I have been able to prove you wrong in the past and I anticipate proving you wrong again in the future.

Prove me wrong about the Maids, please! That's the real "meat" of this issue, I think. :lol:

I do think SX would go over pretty well. Some folks have no qualms about hearing Inferno, King of Terrors, Evolution, Smoke and Mirrors, Sea of Lies, Of Sins and Shadows etc... over and over and over again.

I also think SX would hold the majority of the crowd, for the same reason.

However, my shaky confidence in their headlining ability lays in a certain degree of "stubbornness" held by the band. They "seem" to want their two most recent albums to define them and their live performances, and as a result, I don't believe they would give PP a headlining set that I would personally want. I could be very wrong, hell I'd love to be. I guess I'd just rather see a band that pulls out all the stops in the headlining spot, as opposed to just seemingly going through the motions ala Sonata.
Couldn't agree more. I think they've realized they can actually make a living at this as a Metal band (but not as a Prog Metal band).

When I first started listening to Symphony X, they were Malmsteen meets 70s Prog Rock. Now they're Malmsteen meets Pantera. Still good, but I want my old Symphony X back.

Zod

nocturnal rites and falconer. definitely, i think they are both fantastic and have a bunch of good material- especially NR as theyve been around longer.
of course...they could both be considered headliners. of course, since i cant go this next year i really hope neither of them are (sorry for those that want them!) hah, i really dont wanna miss either.

I just can't believe I'm going to be seeing Jon Oliva or some other Savatage meritage for the millionth time in a few years...:lol:

I'm pretty baffled Nocturnal Rites isn't playing and I'm excited that Riverside is playing. Not that they are my favorite band of this style ( I do dig them muchly though) but that the style is even included in the fairly rigid format that is progpower.

I think the fact that no one has mentioned Sieges Even, would suggest they don't need to make an appearance here. Don't get me wrong, I like Sieges Even. However, they're not a Metal band and this is a Metal festival.

I doubt that would create any interest among Power Metal fans.

Zod

While I'm glad you like them and, yes, they are not metal, it is not just a metal festival. Riverside is metal? Nope. Riverside will go over great as would a band Sieges Even. Given it's a more prog then power event, but they've played ProgPower Europe. And "our" event still does have Prog in its name. I predict they'll make an appearance at some point. Riverside is a step in that direction.

I can justify why they shouldn't be here: they're terrible!

I actually really liked them up until their last 2 cd's (the most recent is much better than the previous, but still not anywhere near as good as the early stuff)... the new cd does have a few really good songs on it.... but older stuff like Tears Falling, and Another Day are great songs.

But that being said, I saw some live video of them and they did sound like complete crap live. And the singer plays guitar full time, i hate that.

I'll take them ANYDAY over Gaia Epicus though... gotta gimme that one drew :loco: