5 1/2 months to PPUSA--Bands you are looking forward to?

Fixxer315

May 4, 2012
We're about five and a half months away from this year's festival, and I cannot wait. Here are the bands I'm looking forward to the most:

Haken: I never heard them before last year's show, but I immediately got Affinity after their live set. And now I finally got Visions, which is even more of a masterpiece that I cannot wait to see live.

Metal Church: This is one band that I had been hoping would play the festival, and now I get my dream. I'll actually have the chance to see them in July at Chicago Open Air Festival, but here they'll get to headline, rather than being a mid-afternoon band (perhaps on the second stage). The new album is very good, and I'm looking forward to seeing the mix of old and new songs (mostly older songs).

Angel Dust: This was the one act that had me on my feet during the announcement video. I had loved them since the late 90's, and I'm glad I'll finally have the chance to see them live.

Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress: Seeing that AA Suite in its entirety will be awesome, even if they were never able to do it with DT. I'm especially looking forward to seeing This Dying Soul, which I've never seen live. I'm also curious as to what other DT songs Mike and co. break out. Given that the backing band is likely to be Haken (based on their previous live performance), this is likely to be one of the highlights of the weekend.

Dynazty: I picked up Renatus after they announced Dynazty's appearance at the 2015 edition (which I did not get to attend anyway due to a sooner-than-expected sellout. I was impressed by the album and and looking forward to seeing them live, assuming the via issues are at a minimum.

Amaranthe: Of the bands I didn't know much about after the announcement, this is the one that I'm most looking forward to seeing. I love the interesting combination of harsh male vocals, clean male vocals and clean female vocals. I even love the more poppy songs like Boomerang and That Song.

So,w hat are you looking forward to this year?

The two bands I'm really looking forward to are Myrath and Vanden Plas! (Of course I'm rather biased since I'm a co-sponsor for both!) ;)

Other bands I'm looking forward to are Distorted Harmony, Pain, Snowy Shaw, Angel Dust and Metal Church.

It's all about Teramaze for me. The rest is just gravy. :p

Actually, Vanden Plas is high on my anticipation list also. And Dynazty. And Haken. And Sunburst.

Katatonia, Vanden Plas and Metal Church are the main ones I'm looking forward to seeing. Of course I'm looking forward to most of the others as well, just that these three are at the top of the list for me!

My top 6 not in any particular order..

Katatonia
Lords of Black
Angel Dust
Distorted Harmony
Vanden Plas
Metal Church

I think Lords of Black will be the big surprise of the show.
I will easily add Vanden Plas and Metal Church to my list if I can make it Thursday. Not sure about that.

I've tried to get into Myrath, but maybe they're much better live.

Edit: Gonna make Thursday

Last edited:
Angel Dust! They are what turned me on to ProgPower way back in 2001.
Also Teramaze. I'll be damned if Her Halo isn't one of the best albums ever.
Sunburst for sure. I will witness the birth of a new guitar god.
And I get to see Amaranthe and Serenity again. Bonus score!!!!

Angel Dust! They are what turned me on to ProgPower way back in 2001.
Also Teramaze. I'll be damned if Her Halo isn't one of the best albums ever.
Sunburst for sure. I will witness the birth of a new guitar god.
And I get to see Amaranthe and Serenity again. Bonus score!!!!

Angel Dust will be awesome. I've never seen them but am so looking forward to it. Its such an awesome festival this year. Thanks @Harvester for ProgPower USA. It is simply THE BEST !!!

Top tier:
Angel Dust - Never seen them live (started PP for PP III). Hoping they still can bring it after all these years.

Next Up:
Serenity - Loved them since the first album, and they were almost perfect in their first PP show

Metal Church - LOVE the Mike How era, by far surpasses the other MC lineups. I last saw them in 1991 (with Judas Priest, Alice Cooper, Motörhead, and Dangerous Toys) - wow, what a show). The new album is excellent, and I can't wait to hear Badlands live.

Also happy to see
Myrath - Thought the first album was okay, but was blown away by their PP performance. Should be a good one
Lords of Black - Really like what I hear from them
Dynazty - Super catchy - should be a great show.

Steve in Philly

Mine would be:

Lords Of Black
Angel Dust
Dynazty
Myrath
Sunburst
Teramaze
Snowy Shaw (if he plays many Kind Diamond/Mercyful Fate songs)

Metal Church would be high on the list if I managed to go to Day 1-2... If single-day tix would become available, I'd buy for them and Vanden Plas on Day 2. No interest for the others on the bill.

Orphaned Land
Myrath
Sunburst
Lords of Black
Serenity
Twilight Force
Dynazty
Portnoy
Katatonia
Haken
Teramaze
Snowy Shaw