Barcode - Showdown

dill_the_devil

OneMetal.com Music Editor
Barcode - Showdown
Nuclear Blast - NB 1425-2 - 2005
By Philip Whitehouse

barcode.jpg

Danish hardcore stalwarts Barcode have been peddling their self-styled 'Freestyle Hardcore' for ten years now. While they may not have musically done much that truly necessitates their self-imposed differentiation from the rest of the hardcore pack, they have become lethally efficient and adept at delivering the goods on each of their albums. A fatter than usual production (courtesy of guitarist and Hatesphere frontman Dr. J) and a sound not far removed from the most recent Agnostic Front record mark Showdown's major distinguishing points, so if you're into breakneck hardcore with occasional metalcore-inflected breakdowns, you'll be hard pushed to find a better representation of the style.

The lyrics do set this apart from other hardcore releases, though - for instance, 'Drinkslinger' seems to be an ode to inebriation (whether ironic or not, I'm not sure), and 'Make My Day' names and verbally lambasts a parade of celebrities at a furious pace ('Ewan McGregor doesn't deserve the Force/Celine Dion has got the face of a horse'). There's also a cover of Accept's 'I'm A Rebel', which you will either love or despise depending on how well you think you can take the song being turned into an anthemic street-punk track with 'let's get everyone from the pub in the studio' backing vocals.

Overall, this is a powerful, circle-pit provoking, raging slab of hardcore from one of the more proficient exponents of the genre, but there isn't really anything that makes this record stand out from any of the other higher-quality hardcore albums released over the last couple of years. If you're a huge hardcore fan, then you'll be more than happy with this. If you're getting a bit oversaturated in examples of the genre, though, then you won't be missing much if you skip this one.

6.5/10

Official Barcode Website
Official Nuclear Blast Website