Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
100 Demons – s/t
Deathwish, Inc. – DW 35.0 - 2004
By Nathan Pearce

100demons-100demons-albumcover.jpg

Well, well, well . . . hardcore meets Entombed. Not an uncommon pairing, but never have I heard it done so well. 100 Demons is another unknown to me. Apparently they’ve already garnered a little bit of a following in the hardcore world, but I’m here to tell all the metal fans what they’re missing.

While 100 Demons uses a lot of the genre-defining hardcore breakdowns, their ability to write great death-n-roll riffs puts them a bit above the rest of the competition. The songs are very similar to a lot of Entombed material, but with the hardcore edge 100 Demons provides, don’t expect another Entombed baby. In fact, I’m probably misleading some. 100 Demons is very much hardcore in the vein of old-school brutal New York style metalcore. However, to my ears, 100 Demons absolutely blows away bands like the over-popularized Hatebreed. With similar riffs and breakdowns, both Hatebreed and 100 Demons have a lot in common, but it’s 100 Demons’ ability to incorporate better songwriting (not to mention better lyrics) that sets them apart from bands with much larger followings.

For fans of Entombed, Hatebreed, Slayer, and all things brutal and hardcore, 100 Demons will NOT disappoint. As far as I’m concerned, metal fans are now mostly open minded, and I expect to see and hear their praises for this album as well.

8.5/10

100 Demons’ Official Website
Deathwish Inc.’s Official Website