Barlow rejoins Iced Earth \m/

FerretallicA

HMAS Slagdestroyer
Mar 23, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Something Wicket Pt. 2 will have one of the most kick-arse sounding vocalists ever to grace metal rejoining the folds of Iced Earth :headbang:

http://www.icedearth.com/

Can't help but feel kinda sorry for Ripper! Arsed from Priest, now arsed from Iced Earth... forever living in the shadow of former singers... :lol: Hopefully Beyond Fear will be the gig that breaks the cycle for him.

The first track from the new Iced Earth has some of the best vocals I've ever heard in an Iced Earth album, I don't see how Barlow could possibly sing some of that stuff. Owens vocals on that album are amazing, and I don't see how anyone could be THAT happy that he's out of the band.

Barlow is great, but I prefer Owens, I prefer him to Halford too. He's one of my original big influences. Basically this falls into the "Big deal (sarcastically)" box for me. I love Dante's Inferno, and the original Something Wicked Trilogy, but basically my favourite songs Iced Earth have done have been WITHOUT Barlow (Gettysberg, the Stormrider album). So I'm probably not as excited as everyone else about this.

Owens vocals on that album are amazing, and I don't see how anyone could be THAT happy that he's out of the band.

Iced Earth isn't exactly the most technically challenging band to ever do the rounds. Personally I think Ripper is too good for Iced Earth in a lot of ways whereas Barlow, while not technically (in a more conventional sense) as talented, has a much more powerful, moody, atmospheric and *ahem* epic voice in the context of a band like Iced Earth. "The Glorious Burden" by contrast sounded very flat and uninspiring to me. Their new album is a fair improvement but still hasn't grabbed me like any of the Barlow era material.

Barlow is great, but I prefer Owens, I prefer him to Halford too.

DID YOU HEAR THAT SHANE?
Ripper > > > > Halford

ARE YOU HEARING THIS?

I still think Halford in his prime was better than just about anybody... liking Owens more is just personal preference really. He's been a bigger influence on me than Halford.

Barlow does have a certain sound that really suited the old iced earth, it should be interesting to hear how his voice adjusts to suit the newer sound they have. Schaffer did say that Barlow wasn't coping well with the Glorious Burden material, that it didn't sound right, but that might have been because Barlow wasn't really committed to the band at that point.

Oh well.

Barlow WAS more suited to Iced Earth, but since he left the music has become more melodic, progressive and adventurous as a whole. IMO Barlow suits Iced earth a lot more in the minds of more hard core fans for the simple reason that he is more a part of the history of the band, as well as being the first really worthy vocalist they had. That "history" had to be created, and needed time to sink in - the simple truth is that most people find some sort of positive vindication in familiarity (like hard core maiden fans who wish Paul Dianno had never left the band, or to a lesser extent people who actually like AcDc's newer material) they want to hear a familiar voice, or style of music, (or chorus hook) that they associate either with good memories (ie. nostalgia), a period of the band that they liked (possibly even because of the frame of mind they were in when they "got into" it), or even just the previous chorus.

I don't like Owens because he is more technical - singing higher in itself does make for a more technical vocalist - Barlow, IMO is at least a more technically knowledgable vocalist than Owens (I have a book I ordered 4 years ago from the UK where both are interviewed, and its obvious that Barlow has a far greater working technical knowledge than Owens, who is really just a natural and has no idea how he sings like he does). I like Owens for his emotional intensity and his phrasing rather - and his natural talent. To me Owens sings with a lot of committment and emotion, its just that he is often given stuff to sing which is more "flashy" than Barlow, because he can do more with his voice range-wise than Barlow can so Schaffer was obviously playing to that.

Shane reminded me that when Owens joined Iced Earth, Schaffer said that his was the voice he had heard in his head ever since he had started writing songs for Iced Earth. Weird that he's gone from that to kicking Owens out of the band to get their previous singer back, who's voice he apparently regarded as being less suitable for the bands music? Just doesn't sit right to me and I think there may be something more to this.

I'm not Barlow bashing btw, he is indeed an awesome singer.

Honestly, bit too little too late for the formerly might Iced Earth.

After Barlow's breakdown and identity crisis -pretty much brought on by various events in his life and America- he decided that metal was no longer for him and left to join the government and now he's back?

Very much no dice.

The problem is that Iced Earth is a great hit and miss band.

They do some utterly legendary songs but the majority of their albums are beyond average -especially their later ones (case in point Horror Show & The Glorious Burden).

Hopefully with this new project they'll build themselves back up the stuff Something Wicked. . . (the original one) and before.
Though I really do feel sorry for Owens, as he is a massive;y talented singer who always seems to be given big shoes to fill.
he did a great job on his songs on The Glorious Burden and honestly really want to hear him in his own band, singing songs that are his own and made for his exceptional performance range and energy (see his live Priest DVD for a good example of it).

Personally, I'll only listen to the next album if Barlow is 100% committed to the band and the rest of the group have their previous energy and flare back.

The vitriol directed at Schaffer on Ripper's MySpace is nuts. Even John Greely is putting the boot in. As I've said elsewhere, I couldn't give a fuck about IE anymore now. Ripper was doing interviews right up to the day he got fired telling everyone how keen he was to get started on the next album. He didn't even know he was getting the chop.

I do feel sorry fo Ripper. Don't know too much Iced Earth, but I did like Barlow era better than Ripper. But i love both vocalists.

After Barlow's breakdown and identity crisis -pretty much brought on by various events in his life and America- he decided that metal was no longer for him and left to join the government and now he's back?

You mean wanting to do something more meaningful with his life than be a 'rock star'? Sounds like a pretty fucking decent decision to me as far as reasons for stepping down from a band go. At least he wasn't giving up metal because he "found God" or some bullshit like that, and he still kept going with his singing with local community and police bands so it wasn't like he just got sick of music.

the majority of their albums are beyond average -especially their later ones (case in point Horror Show
That's where your post lost all credibility :lol:.

Yeah I've got nothing but respect for Barlow for doing what he did. That shows a pretty strong character. In the end he's going to be the meat in the sandwich of all this bullshit, poor bastard. I've done it myself, comparing the two of them, but years from now if IE stiffs because of this people will be blaming Barlow for it just like they blamed Blaze and Ripper for Maiden and Priest sucking.

Just a question for the band. With Mike's comments here, and the possibility that IE may still tour next year, would TM still be up for the support if it was offered?

For sure. Don't mistake my comments for anything "anti" Iced Earth or Schaffer, the whole kinda sarcastic "big deal" comment was more something directed at the semi fanatic response of many Barlow fans who dont seem to give enough credit to Owens i feel, because personally I am a huge Tim Owens fan and am beginning to feel slightly frustrated that a pattern could be establishing itself of Owens being kicked out of a band and fans going "hooray". I like a lot of the stuff they did with Owens, especially Gettysberg and the most recent album, the first track of which is one of my favourite Iced earth songs and has some amazing vocals. I'm sure i'll like the next album too, and perhaps the band will indeed sound better with Barlow back - I'm not saying it won't - but I just don't feel Ripper has been getting the respect he deserves for his short time in the band.

Barlow and Owens are two completely different singers, equally as good in their own individual ways, who both brought something different to the band, just because i have a personal preference to Owens doesn't mean I would say that Barlow is in any way an inferior singer. Schaffers songs I do not think will change their current direction greatly as a whole, which is fine with me cause I really liked the last album a lot. If people don't like the songs on the last couple of albums, they shouldn't blame that on Owens - though I'm sure a few of those same people will indeed try to convince themselves that the next album has better songs just because Barlow is singing them when infact they sound very much like the last two.

All the hype aside, i'll listen to either singer, i don't see the huge deal... but then again, i'm not a "hardcore" IE fan; I personally think that they are quite overrated. I'm going to throw on The Glorious Burden anyway.

You mean wanting to do something more meaningful with his life than be a 'rock star'? Sounds like a pretty fucking decent decision to me as far as reasons for stepping down from a band go. At least he wasn't giving up metal because he "found God" or some bullshit like that, and he still kept going with his singing with local community and police bands so it wasn't like he just got sick of music.

That's where your post lost all credibility :lol:.

I had credibility to begin with? :confused: :Smug:

Giving up fame to do good for your country but he went straight into mid-level public service where he could effect no real change and do no good.

True, it's not like he left because he found Jesus behind the couch but it's still not as major as joining the army and fighting on the fronts.
Just as good as his reasons were for leaving the first place they honestly don't matter now with his return.
More's the pity really.

I've done it myself, comparing the two of them, but years from now if IE stiffs because of this people will be blaming Barlow for it just like they blamed Blaze and Ripper for Maiden and Priest sucking.

That is the major problem with bands when something like this happens.

The fans look for a scapegoat and it always falls to the person out front (unless their is a well known behind the scenes factor).
Gore already mentioned Blaze and Ripper, but look at what the Nightwish fans are doing to the new singer despite the fact that Tarja did nothing for the band but sing.
Van Halen is also another famous example but that also has a huge behind the scenes stuff going on as well.

Unfortunately it happens because people want someone to blame for the supposedly quality of a group going down, even though it may have happened well before people left and later returned.

Though, in all honesty, a singer like Ripper never really stood a chance because of the people's who's shoes he had to fill left such great steps behind them with fans.

Prefering Ripper to Halford? OMG MIKE!

I think Phil Lynott has a bigger range than either of them. He should be the new Iced Earth singer.