Barlow rejoins Iced Earth \m/

Giving up fame to do good for your country but he went straight into mid-level public service where he could effect no real change and do no good ... it's still not as major as joining the army and fighting on the fronts.
At what point was the assumption made that all positive change comes from war, or that even in the event of war, that just as significant a role can't be played from within rather than abroad?

Although Barlow has often cited the WTC bombing as the main catalyst for his change in attitude, I'm not aware of him ever claiming to want to get involved in the war in the Middle East personally or that the new direction it gave him was wanting to contribute to a war.

In any event even if he did want to work in areas more directly tied to the bombing and circumstances surrounding it, would you also say workers such as fire fighters and ambos were a waste of space, both at ground zero and in the ongoing aftermath? To dismiss "mid-level public service" as effecting no real change and doing no good only further highlilghts that you're missing the point entirely.

I think Phil Lynott has a bigger range than either of them. He should be the new Iced Earth singer.

I heard he was actually offered the spot but he was offered more money elsewhere, hence currently touring with John Arch in The Eagles instead.

Does anyone here still actually listen to the earlier Iced Earth albums? I've been giving "Night Of The Stormrider" a few spins in particular and whoever their old vocalist was before Barlow on that album (Adam or Greely?) sounded a fair bit like Owens at times. Listening to Stormrider and "The Glorious Burden" back to back sounds a lot more natural and flowing than Nightrider and "Burnt Offerings".

Stormrider is the best thing Iced Earth have ever done. If Barlow had sung on the album it would have been better but John Greely is still pretty good.

Does anyone here still actually listen to the earlier Iced Earth albums? I've been giving "Night Of The Stormrider" a few spins in particular and whoever their old vocalist was before Barlow on that album (Adam or Greely?) sounded a fair bit like Owens at times. Listening to Stormrider and "The Glorious Burden" back to back sounds a lot more natural and flowing than Nightrider and "Burnt Offerings".

Haven't been able to find Night of the Storm rider anywhere!

Not even on download.

So interested to hear how it does sound compared to the more well known later material.

So interested to hear how it does sound compared to the more well known later material.
Put it this way... I've had the earlier CDs for about 6(?) years now and I'm still forcing myself to listen to them hoping something will 'click'. "Night of the Stormrider" in particular has its moments but for the most part "Burnt Offerings" remains their first album worthy of any real praise in my not-so-humble John-Arch-revering opinion.