Barriers while composing.

Free_Fall

New Metal Member
Sep 11, 2009
Well..im into melodic death metal heavily. More precisely into n Gothenburg metal.

Now the thing is, i play guitar and made one composition. now my drummer wants put some drum beat that he likes. also same goes for my keyboardist. Keyboardist also changed some of my composition's chord. i feel in total my composition is as became incomplete. Like i made one Intro of composition and according to the intro riff(riff chord) i made verse chord. But my keyboardist changed the verse. Now the composition is not sounding nice(i think). Also drummer is putting some drum beats that is make my riff sound not so good. But how can i make them understand?

So what do u think? Or what is the process of making composition? Is there any System to follow while making composition? Like when one guitarist start composition then only he will tell what to put and what to not(with co-operation of other members). Im also ready if my keyboardist come ahead and he start making a new composition and he tell me what type of riff to play withing Gothenburg metal Sound. But i dont like other members interrupting badly while im making composition.

And there no thing like personal interest. i just want a good composition.

Thanks

The thing about being in a band is letting other people have their input. If you're going to be a nazi about no one else touching your compositions you're going to lose band members real quick.

Part of being in a band is also being able to tell each other what you honestly think about their input. So you all have to deal with it if they think your ideas are shit and also if you think their ideas are shitty.

Laying your ideas out in a clear manner, knowing where the song leads and plays out during different parts and how it ends is important. If someone else has an idea, try it out. If it works, use it. If it doesn't, store it in your mind it could be used for another song or another part, OR play around with it, perhaps change the picking pattern, the notes or the notes structure. If it still doesn't work, scrap it. There's no use beating on a dead horse, but you're always going to have to sift through a giant pile of shit to find a diamond.

Hope it helps.