Bass below kick or kick below bass? What's your aproach?

Pxz

Nov 13, 2006
Chile - La Serena
It depends on a lot of factors for sure but i would like to see what's your personal take on this subject. Me personally , i tend to favor kick below bass because of consistency and also because i like my bass tone to be more defined instead sub low end rumble.

Last edited:
I like mine to be even with each other. Unless it's a heavy double-pedal part, then I'll automate it lower, so it won't overpower everything.

Bass around the kick. A good mix of both can have impact on kickdrum hits and a nice and comfortable low-end from the bass.
Impact requires breaks though, which many people tend to forget

Kick bellow bass, because even bass can't produce that solid subs I'd want (unless it's sine wave synth taking care of it), so I take sub punch over flubby subs. Although I have to say, I love hearing Nelly Get Good mixes when he has kick punch around 110Hz.

I feel like the kick's heart is always around 50-80hz depending on recording/samples, but the bass can have the perceived low end without it actually occupying the range (if that makes sense), so kick below bass for all the metal/rock stuff I have done. I could imagine that being different with other styles of music that don't have so much kick involvement.

it really depends on way too many factors to prefer one always over the other. being able to judge which approach is right is more important than which you prefer!

all depends on how busy the parts are, where they're played, what they actually sound like, what vibe/emotion they bring to the track, how important that part is to the song, what's around it, etc

I tend to have the kick between 75 and 85 Hz and the bass around that.

So if the listener has a weak audio system (which sadly is pretty likely), only the sub-bass of the of the bass guitar will disappear instead of the entire low end of the kick.
The kick seems more important to me.

Last edited: