How to Get Great Bottom End In Your Mix

miguelrx10d

Axe Addicted
May 2, 2011
Portugal
Hey guys I know this is a well covered topic but I just found this cool old article featuring Joe Barresi, Chris Lord-Alge, Roger Moutenot and Hugo Nicolson...
It might be dated but still have some useful information and I though we could discuss this subject :)

http://www.emusician.com/news/0766/how-to-get-great-bottom-end-in-your-mix/143937

Some questions for this thread:
- What are the key factors for a tight low end in metal music?
- How to prevent it from being muddy?
- Kick in front or behind the bass? In what situations?
- Do you use subharmonic generators? Wich ones?
- Do you always HP your guitars? And bass?
- How to gel bass and kick together?
- How do you keep your bass at constant levels without automation?
- Whats your approach in kick and bass compression and how do you think it affects the punchiness or body of the mix?

Cheers :headbang:

Arrangement is the undisputed #1 for me. Big, tight lows come from a great arrangement and the ability of the performers to execute it - everything else (gear, mixing techniques, etc.) is secondary.

Thanks guys!
The article is old so some info might be dated

Do you usually use any subsynth/subharmonic generators in metal?

I also walk around the control room when I'm mixing. There are certain areas where the bottom end is superapparent. You might want to sit there for a while to listen to what the bass is actually doing and to check if any notes are dropping out. - Joe Beresi

WOO! So it's not just me! I have a few spots in my room I go to when I want to ensure the super lows aren't out of control, and I thought I was crazy for doing that :\

WOO! So it's not just me! I have a few spots in my room I go to when I want to ensure the super lows aren't out of control, and I thought I was crazy for doing that :

I do that and many big name guys do it too from what i've read, it's super helpful

I've read all those articles,it's got even more confusing now,one tells you that narrow boosts is the way to go,other is saying it's a big no no...
This is all bullshit.

There is no right answer. That doesn't mean different people's opinions on the subject aren't helpful. If anything, the fact that these guys have completely different ways of going about it and all come out with awesome sounding records should be telling.