Slate kick 10 = 808 kick for low end?

nezvers

Beast
Oct 5, 2010
Latvia, Riga
I wanted to check what's so special in this kick. For first listen it got pretty bad ass low-end in deep sub. But than I threw Voxenego SPAN on it and my eyes saw something familiar from my electronic production (N3Z-3 as dubstep producer). Kick got un-acoustic movement from 110 to 50 and bit deeper. That is looking like 808 kicks have. So I'm thinking it is blended into acoustic kick.
Am I right?

I noticed that as well and I know what you mean by un-acoustic movement. I think I heard it on a couple of records over the years. can be cool.

I do that a lot to my kicks: blend in a beefy, synthesized kick for that modern low-end punch. Don't do it in fast music though.

Why 45hz?

I always pick the kick sub frequency based on the key of the song. 41.2hz is a very low E, for example, so I use that frequency a LOT.

Check this out to see what I mean
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

After screwing around with a lot of different freq's, and trying the tuning to the song thing, I just settled on 45hz. It's only there for sub impact, and is usually so low in the mix, you only notice it was there until it's gone and the floor falls out of the kick. Also, it gets it out of the way of the bass for the most part, considering where I start rolling the bass off.

I used an Shure SM91, original AKG D12, FET 47, Yamaha Woofer mic, C12 overhead, U87 Room Mic on the now famous "KICK 10"

He used a subkick. Your eyes can deceive you, as well as your ears. Well... yours anyway.