Bass cabinet has blown speaker

jaredistheman

Feb 16, 2010
Memphis, Tn
But I'm in dire need and need to use it for show this weekend. I can't get it reconed or a replacement speaker in time so I'm wondering if i could simply remove the blown speaker and take it easy volume wise and play with just 3?

I be a complete n00b and this may be not possible but I'm really not sure on the wiring and how power and signal is flowing so I'm not sure if this would be bad. It is a swr workingman's 4x10 just for background info.

Removing the speaker and running it like that isn't a good idea. You'll change the resistance of the circuit and risk doing even more damage.

What is the overall power-handling rating of the cab, and what is the peak output of the amp you're using?

If the amp is a solid state, look inside the cabinet and see how it is wired up, should most likely be 4 ohm speakers wired in series/parallel, (two sets of speakers are in parallel and both sets are in parallel with each other). If that is the case you can disconnect the blown speaker, short the terminals to the speaker (soldering them would be a safe bet) and wrap it up with electrical tape. The result is that the cabinet will have a slightly lower impedance on it, again if the amp is a solid state it won't cause too much issues, just don't crank the amp too hard to prevent from overheating the amp if it cannot handle a 2 ohm load (the actual load will be 2.8 ohms). If the amp can handle 2 ohms loads, you are all gravy.

Better yet, you could disconnect the other speaker that is wired in series to the blown speaker. Disconnecting both speakers will bring your load to 8 ohms, which would be a better, but you would only have two working speakers.

honestly, your best would be to wire it up as a 2x10 until you get the one fixed...google will give you a bazillion images/directions of how to do this

If your cab is wired as series/ parallel @ 4-ohms, you should be able to re-wire as a 2x10 functionally, at the expense of the use of one other speaker and double the impedance. Open your cab up and tell us the ohm ratings of your speakers. Some simple math from us will set you straight.

EDIT: If it's the 410T, you're at 8 ohms load. If wired in series/parallel, each individual speaker should be 8 ohms.

If this is the case, wire your speakers in SERIES.

Route the black wire from one speaker to the red terminal of the next speaker, and the second black wire goes back to the input.
The cabinet's impedance is now 16 ohms, so technically half it's power, but the amplifier isn't overworking itself.

Wow thanks so much for all the help guys! I searched for some wiring help and couldn't find too much diagram wise. So I'm gathering i basically need to pull out the blown speaker and pull one more out but i get a little lost there. I sadly have a 5 yr old's understanding in electrical work haha I'm guessing the other speaker I'd pull out is the one it's wired in parallel with? Also, the amp is a Gallien Kruger 700rb which i just actually looked and saw is 480 watts, cab is 400 watts. Yeah, I'm an idiot.

But as far as the wiring, any more specific details i could get on it would be awesome.

All you need to do is disconnect the positive or negative connection of the broken speaker, that's it, the series speaker that is connected to it will no longer work as well, meaning the amp will only be loaded by the other two speakers wired in series.