Thinking of making a big knob style speaker selector

Dalinkwent48@aim.com

Be Creative, Get Laid
Apr 7, 2009
Jersey
Im not too sure if i should post this here or in the off topic area...I was thinking about rigging up a "mackie big knob" style speaker selector...I ordered a griffin powermate which is basically just a big ass volume control (amongst other things but thats what ill be using it for) and I have a speaker selector that will hold up to 6 pairs of speakers...Heres the issue..

1) Will I lose any sound quality by rigging this speaker selector into my mbox?It doesn't seem like it would effect it but im not too sure.

2) The powermate is usb, so is there a way to bypass the master volume on my mbox and use the powermate instead?

its usb, it's a rotary encoder to control the output volume of your internal soundcard, won't work.

The TC levelpilot is an analog volume control, connects between the interface and speakers.

As for speaker switching, keeping a balanced connection throughout is important.
Mackie Big Knob, Presonus Monitor Station unless you want to build something yourself.

Just to make sure im understanding this

Mbox > LevelPilot > Speaker Selector > 3-4 sets of monitors

If i route it like that then the levelpilot bypasses the mbox volume control?

and one more question...which seems to work better....the level pilot or i just saw sm pro audio nano patch...which one should i go with?

You'd need the Mbox volume at max.

Alternately you can get a Home Theater receiver/amp which generally have high quality components, nice big volume knob, speaker switching, input switching etc and a remote.
However I don't think they usually have balanced outputs, often just speaker terminals so might not be suitable for the monitors you have.
One other plus with that method would be that you could use the S/PDIF out of the Mbox into the receiver and have better quality D>A conversion.
But if it doesn't work with your monitors there's not much point.