Wiring EMG-81 and 60 with 5 way pickup selector...

GobblyWobbly

Magical Turkey Musician
Dec 2, 2008
Hey guys,
I recently purchased an EMG-81 and EMG-60 from ebay for my Ibanez RG370DX LH. They are both in really good condition and came with all of the appropriate components. Today me and my mate wired them up according to the diagram shown below. I have 2 pots, one for volume one for tone. Everything is wired exactly to the diagram except we weren't sure what happened with the pickup selector because the RG uses the 5 way system whereas the diagram is aimed at a 3 way system. They both had 8 contact points so we took them on the Ibanez from 1 to 8, reading from left to right when viewing the selector from behind when in correct position and according to the diagram we wired 1 and 2 together, 2 to 6 and 5 to 6....

As you can probably imagine it still isn't working. So I thought I would question the minds of the forum haha. I am thinking about purchasing a 3 way selector but I am incredibly lazy as a lot of you may understand and would like to keep my 5 way selector if at all possible, I just need to be able to bypass the 5 way system properly before I take it to a technician.

I appreciate the support. And before you tell me I'm a noob. I know ;)
Oh and if I could get replies quickly that would also be great because I have to play a gig with those bad boys in a few weeks. Thanks :)

EMGWiringDiagram.jpg

a 5 way is used to select different modes of each pup. so it can tap off just a single coil in the 2 or 4 position, you cant do it with emgs! your gnna have to get a 3 way for it to work ok, Bridge, Bridge n Neck, Neck

thats how they will only work!

alright dude, will do :) thanks a lot haha. A 3 way will still come woth 8 contact points? like on the diagram? so I'm still gonna have to wire 1 to 2, 2 to 6 etc?

a 5 way is used to select different modes of each pup. so it can tap off just a single coil in the 2 or 4 position, you cant do it with emgs! your gnna have to get a 3 way for it to work ok, Bridge, Bridge n Neck, Neck

thats how they will only work!

Nonsense.

Although you can't coil tap the 81 or 60 of course you can use a 5 way switch with two EMG humbuckers if you wire it correctly. I've done it myself.

I'll see if I can rustle up a diagram later.

oh didnt realise, i always assumed that caus of the nature of the pups, in those 2 and 4 positions they drop seriously in volume?

Basically I have (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge + Neck, (3) Neck, (4) Neck and (5) nothing (killswitch). This is just the way it turned out. So long as I have (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge + Neck, (3) Neck, I don't care what (4) and (5) are. :)

No volume drop as the 81 and 85 don't have the wiring to enable coil tap.

hi dude!i have same guitar as well.and i have installed emg's 81+85 with no problems.changed to 3 pos switch and it worked perfectly!....but i wired guitar so i have separate volumes for each pickup and no tone(why would you want it for metal anyway?)
After couple of months of active abuse of switch it died(signal started to disapear and shit) I changed switch to les paul type.and this matherfucker works now for 2 years with no probs!
I would suggest you to buy les paul switch as well.drill big hole for it and enjoy :headbang: . loks proper ugly but thats what metal is about!!!

Basically I have (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge + Neck, (3) Neck, (4) Neck and (5) nothing (killswitch). This is just the way it turned out. So long as I have (1) Bridge, (2) Bridge + Neck, (3) Neck, I don't care what (4) and (5) are. :)

No volume drop as the 81 and 85 don't have the wiring to enable coil tap.

ahh right i see what you are on about, yeah you can wire it up but it wont work like a standard 5 way switch would on say passive pups or on a strat! which allows 5 totally separate tonal modes. the emgs can only do 3 combinations