DIY Volume controller and A/D Converter questions!

ForHerDeadEyes

Señor Member
Jan 24, 2011
Sweden
First off, I have some issues with the volume of my DI's, when recording..
The DI-Box has 2 x -20dB Attenuation switches, but even switching one down to -20dB is too low..
I don't have a volume knob on the git..
So I'm thinking of making a simple volume controller.. but I'm unsure what component to get..
A pot with what value? Linear or Logarithmic?

Secondly, and this might be a stupid question, the m-audio control panel in XP has volume sliders for in/out volume etc. I have 1010LT..
The sliders for in-volume has 3 settings (and manual adjustment):
+4dB
Con
-10dB
The adjustments affect the input volume in Reaper, on a record-armed track etc.
Is this the volume of the A/D converter?
What I'm getting at is that I don't want to clip/overload the input and I'm not sure if I should set the sliders in the control panel to max, and lower the volume before the soundcard or if I can adjust it with the sliders in the control panel..
Hope I'm not to confusing with my questions.. :loco:

Umm... If the level is too low, just turn off the pad. Or turn up the preamp gain on your interface. I use a guitar with EMG's going to Radial J48 with -15dB pad on and preamp gain at zero and I get good level that way (peaks hitting between -18 and -6 in DAW). With passive guitars with lower output I just turn the pad off.

Umm... If the level is too low, just turn off the pad. Or turn up the preamp gain on your interface. I use a guitar with EMG's going to Radial J48 with -15dB pad on and preamp gain at zero and I get good level that way (peaks hitting between -18 and -6 in DAW). With passive guitars with lower output I just turn the pad off.

Sweet! fast answers.. :)

I might've been vague..
What I meant that is recording with the DI's without the pads enabled, the volume is too high.. using one of the pads of -20dB, then the volume is too low, all I need is maybe somewhere around -5dB to -6dB..

Just like you said, I want to get between -18 and -6 in the DAW..
Question is if the Delta control panel in XP for my 1010LT prevents the input from doing any sort of clipping.. or if I have to lower the volume before the soundcard..

Sweet! fast answers.. :)

I might've been vague..
What I meant that is recording with the DI's without the pads enabled, the volume is too high.. using one of the pads of -20dB, then the volume is too low, all I need is maybe somewhere around -5dB to -6dB..

Just like you said, I want to get between -18 and -6 in the DAW..
Question is if the Delta control panel in XP for my 1010LT prevents the input from doing any sort of clipping.. or if I have to lower the volume before the soundcard..

If it's too loud (clipping) without pads, then it should be fine with just one pad. If you are recording in 24bit, you have 120dB of signal compared to 20dB of headroom, which is more than fine. Just turn your input gain on your ampsim a little louder or alternatively use a tubescreamer or other pedal that has a volume control you would normally use in the chain :)

If it's too loud (clipping) without pads, then it should be fine with just one pad. If you are recording in 24bit, you have 120dB of signal compared to 20dB of headroom, which is more than fine. Just turn your input gain on your ampsim a little louder or alternatively use a tubescreamer or other pedal that has a volume control you would normally use in the chain :)

True :)
Though, I'm unfortunatly using Behringer DI-boxes.. The noise isn't as bad as the Behringer one in the ol' DI-box comparison shout-out that was posted here on UM.. but.. I think I get a bit too much noise when padding down -20dB..

I guess I'll have to run some more tests..

Just build a pad to go between the DI & preamp. I built a few dif Mic cables that are pads for w/e I may nned them in 6db, 12db, 18db, 24db increments so I never have a signal that is too hot.

Just build a pad to go between the DI & preamp. I built a few dif Mic cables that are pads for w/e I may nned them in 6db, 12db, 18db, 24db increments so I never have a signal that is too hot.

That would indeed do the trick!
Please do tell me how to create such a gadget..!