Bass clip inside

Tachy said:
Hey Guys yesterday evening I recorded a clip of bass with my brother, I'm not realy happy with this sound but what do you think about it?
Yep, it's not great.

Could be a part of the problem but I'd question the bass and strings quality first.

Yes the strings are a little old, but the bass is good, is the signature model of John Myung...

Definitely replace the strings. I replace mine the day before I record any of my basses. That way they have at least 12 hours to stretch and equilibrate with the air. As far as the sound goes, I'd look at some compression and eq. It sounds a little dark to me and muddy at the low end. Maybe try to filter anything below 30Hz and bring up the mids.

no balls in that bass......no bottom end at all and just really "thin" sounding. The fingers vs pick issue doesn't even come into it. In fact, if he played with a pick it would probably sound even thinner. While changing the strings will give it more definition it won't bulk up the sound too much.

Is this DI'ed or just plugged straight into a board/soundcard. It needs something (e.g. pre-amp or mic'ed amp signal) to beef it ip. Compress the hell out of it at the very least :)