bass drops... tuned?

Devon8822

New Metal Member
Jan 15, 2007
I know that some people tune there bass drops but is this a necessity? Are they usually tuned to the note of the bass guitar?

Necessity, no, but it would sound better, for obvious reasons (if you can, then why not do it).

That's considering the bass is well tuned in the first place :D

I always tune mine on the rare occasion that I actually use them.

It's not essential, but I find it keeps things a bit clearer.

As they get pitch shifted down in a linear way through automation and will last in the tune's pitch for a transient, I don't tune them to anything in particular, but whatever sounds best to me and the mix, regardless of the key.

You can always start the sub drop on the frequency of the note playing during the start of the bass drop.
For instance, rockin' the Drop C chug you would start the sub drop at roughly 65hz, which is a C.

Dont confuse the bass drop with the 808 hit..
Bass drop starts at the current note being played and drops down until its sonically useless
The 808 hit just hits one note (whatever note is appropriate at that time)

Dont just start your bass drop on some random note.. Choose the right one
& you definitely dont want to have the wrong note on an 808 hit.. (unless your making shit THAT horrible and heavy;)

Bass drops are gross. Make them not gross by actually tuning them to their respective pitches at which they are being played in association with the material.

Yeah I agree with tuned bass drops. but when I get to lower tunings I like to use 3rd harmony. So if I'm in drop A I use a C sub drop if I'm in A minor. I just like the sound it makes and because you can hear/feel C sub drops better than A sub drops because of the frequency used makes mixing them a bit easier ... I think anyway :)

Yeah I agree with tuned bass drops. but when I get to lower tunings I like to use 3rd harmony. So if I'm in drop A I use a C sub drop if I'm in A minor. I just like the sound it makes and because you can hear/feel C sub drops better than A sub drops because of the frequency used makes mixing them a bit easier ... I think anyway :)

^ This. Nice explanation mate... :headbang: