I suck at bass drops

Yeah high pass your comps sidechain... And the glue can do that. Knob bottom left.

cytomic_the_glue_107.png

I would just print the mastered wav when finished, add it to a new session, and automate hi-pass eq to the specific frequency of the bass drop, (random band for example plays in Drop C or C standard so lets say 65.41hz or the nearest you can get passed that) create subdrop in that key, slap it in into the desired part, and have the hi-pass back up as the bass drop fades away.

Most modern bands want their bass drops audible without needing subs though. In that case you need to have the harmonics of the bass drop come up as well. I think it sounds gay though so I don't really know much about that.

This doesn't make sense to me because.. Once I have my song 'mastered' it's limiited, and once I add bass drops, I get clipping, according to my faders.

I know it's weird and I USED to use this method/still do if I absolutely HAVE to but I get my drops in there at an EARLIER point instead of the very end and I have WAY better luck.

If you're going to export a song with all your 2BUSS and limiting shit on, then import these into a final 'bass bomb' sessions.... your master WILL CLIP but as long as it still sounds good....

=D

<33

I bounce out my mix, have a track with the subdrop in it and then put them both through my mastering chain, adjusting the level of the subdrop and the compressor settings to get it sitting nice. I would expect major clipping if you were to add a subdrop to an already mastered mix.

I bounce out my mix, have a track with the subdrop in it and then put them both through my mastering chain, adjusting the level of the subdrop and the compressor settings to get it sitting nice. I would expect major clipping if you were to add a subdrop to an already mastered mix.

Yeah, I would of thought the same thing. But how does bouncing it help? Isn't that basically the same as as not bouncing it to a stereo track?

Use a plugin like Waves RBass to add more harmonics to the subdrop
In return, the Subdrop will be more audible in the actual mix
Maybe, you could try using something like GClip to crush the subdrop peak before sending it to the 2buss master...
EDIT: MaxxBass is really good for more sub low end