Mastering Compression with 808s/Sub Drops

Jul 7, 2009
Hey guys,

Before anyone says anything, I don't post much here because I scour the boards and try to learn and apply. I searched all over for this specific question but almost all of it is just people asking for sub drop samples.

I am mixing and mastering a song for this deathcore-ish band right now, and they wanted a sub drop in one section of their song. I have done sub drops before but ALWAYS have the problem of it affecting the master buss compressor and pulling the whole mix down.

I have tried moving the drop to just before and just after the music hits to avoid having it hit the compressor at the same time as the music, I have done multiband and tried to separate the compression from 0-100 Hz for the low end and the sub drop and 100Hz-20kHz for the rest of the mix, and still no good. I have got to figure something out, it's driving me nuts.

My master compress is ReaComp and it is set with Attack 30, Release 100 (also tried Auto Release), -4db Gain Reduction, Ratio 2.5:1.

The sample is simply a sub drop that is tuned around A.

Thanks,

Trevor

I have found that subdrops are the last thing I tweak in a mix. It's about getting the level right with the mastering in place, too little and it doesn't have any impact, too much and the whole mix get's sucked out (though mind you some bands actually want this effect!)

Try and get the density of your mix during the mixing stage, don't try and achieve it during mastering, glue everything as well as you possibly can while you're mixing. Basically minimize the amount of compression you use during mastering.

My compressor settings during mastering are something like:
2:1 ratio
30ms attack
120 release
somewhere between -2db and -5db being taken off. It depends completely on the band whether I want a more compressed, modern sound or a more open sound.

Then I use my magic subdrop http://dl.dropbox.com/u/631208/SUB DROP.wav
no processing. drop it in, turn it up to the right level (so its not covering up the mix and not too quiet) and that's IT.

here's how it sounds.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/631208/Sneap Stuff/boom.mp3

i'd say master your song without the subdrop, then blend in the subdrop on a seperate track, set levels & make sure nothing's overpowering/clipping, then render that.

i find that when the sub drops are mixed at the right volume it doesn't really effect my mastering chain much at all. as gareth said try to get your gelling done on the mix stage to not need all that compresion