Who is using Multiband Compression for Metal Mastering

Helius

Jan 23, 2010
Do any of you guys use Multiband Compression for Mastering, and if yes, which tools do you use and for what reason (e.g. increasing loudness, evening frequencies....)? Do you think it's worth getting a multiband compressor in the mastering chain?

i compress the bass end of the spectrum only

because i am lazy

and by that i mean, i dont want to dick around with bass for an entire day, when i can just smooth out the bass end of the spectrum with a cross over compressor / multiband-bass-only compressor

I use it to level bass/lo-mids, never really liked trying to tweak the individual tracks. Once it sounds good frequency wise once all the tracks are combined, I usually am just using it for a tiny bit of comp and volume.

Ive only had a bit of time with my finalizer but would you just stick with the finalizer multiband and not use a plugin c4 in conjunction with it?

Just a reference for when I start mastering my EP.

Anyone using the multiband in Izotope? It seems pretty decent but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Any tips on using that or pointers. I understand the concept of it but are there are particular methods or settings that anyone has had great success with?

Anyone using the multiband in Izotope? It seems pretty decent but I haven't gotten the hang of it yet. Any tips on using that or pointers. I understand the concept of it but are there are particular methods or settings that anyone has had great success with?

not last version but pretty similar, there are other vids on there. Maybe you're looking for more details but..

Last edited by a moderator:
C4 fairly frequently. compressing from 300-900hz a little bit to hype the low and high end a bit.

I've been using LinMB, but have started messing around with Ozone4 the last project I'm on. I think what I appreciate the most is the in-line M/S on some of these processes. :kickass:

It's nice to be able to comp just the mid channel, while leaving the sides alone - at least to my ears it sounds more open. The learn feature is also pretty decent, gets you to a good ballpark of xover settings for the different modules.

i compress the bass end of the spectrum only

because i am lazy

and by that i mean, i dont want to dick around with bass for an entire day, when i can just smooth out the bass end of the spectrum with a cross over compressor / multiband-bass-only compressor

Now I don't feel as bad doing this myself :lol: Generally I find I prefer eq'ing out problematic frequencies above maybe 300, and MBC'ing anything below that (though generally more on individual tracks rather than the master bus)

i try not to use it but will often times start to get frustrated with repeated unpleasant car-tests and will use C4 to balance out the frequency spread more to my liking. shrill high mids, not enough high mids, generally fatiguing mix, oddly boomy lowend, etc.

I use it to even out the low mids on guitars otherwise my chugs are fuckin boomy as shit compared to the non-chugged stuff. Works well.

I downloaded the Flux Alchemist demo version in the meantime and tweaked the parameters a little bit. All I can say is: Mindblowing!!!
You have so many parameters to tweak, but the potential of this Plugin is quite awesome. I especially liked the M/S processing feature for every single band (quite useful for bass frequencies in my opinion). The possibility to change stereo spread for each band is also quite handy, as you can just widen a little frequency range without messing up your bass. All in all I can say it's a really great software, but you have to learn how to set it up correctly. You can have lots of fun with this Plugin, but it really needs to be learned in my opinion.