multiband Compressors on masterbus...

MultiM

Jun 28, 2013
Paris, France
I use multiband compressors(C4) on the masterbus always, do you think it's enough alone as a mastering compressor without a broadband(normal) compressor?

I usually use the C4 for specific bands that I feel they should be compressed, then use a normal mastering compressor.

what do you guys do?

I've actually stopped using multi's on the master bus. It's just something about how it makes the snare sound. Yeah the whole mix will sound more even but the mix as a whole stops breathing and i don't like it.

I use specific bands only when needed (pretty often the low end). I use a broadband when I feel it brings something to the mix (most of the time but not always). I think it's a difficult but necessary practice to not make a rule out of anything in audio.

c4 fucks the phase in the crossovers, i would recomend it. That is why they released the linear phase multiband.
I used to use multiband but not anymore. As burny says, maybe one band in a problematic area

I use reaxcomp on the drum bass buss only acting on 200 Hz and below before hitting fg-grey, only real place I use it. The rest of the mix balance and control comes from eq

I would only use multi band compressors on busses individually that you know sound overbearing in a mix. If the overbearing sound is consistent, I would look at a different approach EQing certain problem HZ on identified tracks.

I used to put the C4 on the masterbus but I really don't like doing it anymore. Since it's for clamping down on unwanted frequencies that are rearing their ugly heads, I prefer to find where those are coming from in the first place and fix it there. I use C4 all the time on guitars, bass, etc. but never on the masterbus!

No rules though, if it works for you all that matters is the sound coming out!

I'm finally working on a little project after quite some time off from mix-land. In my off-time I did acquire C4 as well as a few other plugins that were on sale. Need to dive back in and re-learn some stuff! I recall using C4 on guitar buss but I don't think I'd use it over the master. I've used it on a total-shit, 1-mic recording of a band practice to get rid of annoying shit to be able to pick out drums a bit better for re-creating them in MIDI.

I think my mixes were somewhat reborn after Fabfilter released their MB-comp. It will definitely add a new life to any dull mix if used right.