saturation on masterbus?

RandomOne

Dec 28, 2010
nowhere
-ok sorry for the newb question-

i see many of you are using saturation on the masterbus.
what exactly is doing and why someone will use it?
i can't really see any difference with and without it.

if you wanna compress the dynamic range of your signal which is the case in 99% of all masters, cause you can make the whole thing louder with it, you can either compress it, or clip it (saturation) which sounds rahter different, if you don't notice the difference, you probably haven't reached the threshold and its not affecting the signal

i recommend search for the "getting your loudness" thread everythings in there, and if you don't know how compression works google that first

I don't know it, I usually use cranesong phoenix plug and hedd processing and you can easily hear the effect.

They digitally recreate/emulate the features of the tape machine/analog outboards. So they add harmonics distortion that, according to the used product, can be on the brighter side and/or on the warmer and thicker side.

As others have said, most of these types of plugs add subtle harmonic distortion (which people generally find pleasing) and as a result of the slight distortion it creates it usually imparts a mild compression effect as well - the amount of effect depends on how hard you drive the mix buss and saturation plug. This helps to "glue" tracks together the way analog equipment can.

The effect of the plug can also depend on whether it's designed to emulate outboard/console components (like McDSP AC1, Slate VCC, etc.) or analog tape (like Massey Tapehead, McDSP AC2, UAD Studer, etc.) but the principle is similar either way.